Cedar Waxwing/Solitary Sandpipers

  • ursus_8
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2006
      After four previous attempts I finally found a cedar waxwing at the
      Old Elemendorf Fish Hatchery off of Post Road. I started birding at
      about 10:30am and after about an half hour of a light rain, there was
      alot of bird activity. I heard the cedar waxwing(s) several times
      before I saw it fly and perch on the top of a cottonwood tree. The
      cottonwood tree was located on the east bank slightly upstream from the
      dam and across from a small gravel bar. This is probably the same
      location that it was seen yesterday by Dave and Eric. Other species
      seen were 7 solitary sandpipers in the fish pond, american dipper (on
      gravel bar), common snipe, wilson's and myrtle warblers, alder
      flycatchers, belted kingfisher, bald eagle, 8 rusty blackbirds,common
      redpolls, pine siskins, 1 spotted sandpiper, 1 greater yellowlegs, and
      black-capped chickadees. I also saw three hudsonian godwits at the
      mouth of ship creek.

      Tom
      avocet@...
    • ursus_8