Birding around Anchorage

  • Chris Maack
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2005
      Beautiful weather to go out and check what's in town. We found the
      female Merlin at the hot merlin corner - thanks, White Keys! She was on
      a weeping birch, preening and looking content.

      On out toward the end of Northern Lights, with stops along the way, we
      picked up our first Fox Sparrows, Savannah Sparrow and White-crowned
      Sparrows of the season, and saw a pair of Sandhill Cranes on the flats
      below the composting facility, along with assorted ducks, Greater
      Yellowlegs and one Semi-palmated Plover. Distant peeps could not be
      identified. Saw a Red-tailed Hawk on the way out, and an overflying
      large falcon at the composting facility. There was a small hawk,
      probably Sharp-shinned, glimpsed at Pt. Woronzof. Hairy Woodpeckers
      were very active there also.

      At Hood Lake there were many Ring-necked Ducks and Canvasback, along
      with Redheads, Shovelers, Greater Scaup, Bufflehead, Wigeon, Mallard,
      Pintail, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and two Red-necked Phalarope.
      Again saw peeps but couldn't be sure of the ID.

      Above Potter's Marsh we got good looks at the incubating Bald Eagle,
      then down on the marshy side found Arctic Terns and a Gadwall. We met
      Sirena Brownlee while there who reports that the Horned Grebes are back
      in their roadside ditch pond near the south end of the marsh.

      Chris Maack, Delesta Fox and Betty Friest