Copper Basin Birding

  • Aaron Lang
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2006
      4 Ruddy Ducks were present on Kenny Lake on June 29th and again today (July 2nd). All four adults were loafing in the middle of the lake with the rest of the diving ducks--mostly ring-necks and scaup. I haven't seen any RUDU chicks yet this year. By late July last year there were at least 13 young on the lake in 3 broods. I haven't heard the Sora there this year either.

      Today there were about 100 Herring Gulls on the Copper River just upstream from bridge in Chitina. They were hanging out on the sand flats at the fish wheel area.. 5 Glaucous-winged Gulls and several hybrids were there as well.

      Happy birding,
      Aaron Lang