Re: [AK Birding] Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

  • Gordon Tans
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2006
      Many birders could be interested in this sapsucker. Where exactly is this Dew mound?
      Gordon Tans

      From: dpopham <dpopham@...>
      Date: Thursday, June 8, 2006 1:14 pm
      Subject: [AK Birding] Yellow Bellied Sapsucker
      To: AKBirding@yahoogroups.com

      > I have a report of a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker along the Dew mound
      > trail above the Eagle River visitor center. I didn't see it but
      > my
      > visiting brother did. I'm pretty confident in his observations.
      > I've
      > never seen one here in south central.
      > Also last night a group of us went to Glenallen to see the Great
      > Grey
      > Owls. The babies, we saw 2, are still in the nest but getting
      > big.
      > We saw one very cooperative adult. I didn't realize a Hawk Owl
      > nest
      > is available but one is there right along the road into the
      > campground. It has at least 2 babies with 1 (or more) adults in
      > the
      > area.
      > Doug

      > ~-->
      > Protect your PC from spy ware with award winning anti spy
      > technology. It's free.
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/70TolB/TM

    • jeniceklyall
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 9, 2006

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 9, 2006
          Gordon, this might be a duplicate post. I have a bad computer habit
          of pushing "enter" or "tab" too soon. The Dew Mound trail is
          accessed from the Eagle River Visitor Center. It is about a 6
          mi.loop, which goes eastbound from the Center through the woods (up
          and down but not terribly strenuous) for about 3 miles and returns
          via the Crow Pass Crossing trail along the river. As I remember, it
          is well-enoughed marked. There is a parking fee at the Nature
          Center ($5?)
          On anther note, the song sparrow seen near Elderberry park is still
          there, singing away, viewed from the rusted metal fence. If you go
          through the tunnel at Elderberry toward the east and look on the
          fence to the left, he is very cooperative about being seen. Monica
          Jenicek Lyall
          --- In AKBirding@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Tans <tansg@...> wrote:

          > Many birders could be interested in this sapsucker. Where exactly
          is this Dew mound?
          > Gordon Tans
          > Anchorage

        • Liza Sanden
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 9, 2006
            I am working on putting together a "nature geocache" database for the Eagle River Nature Center. (Listing coordinates of interesting birds, nest sites, tree cavities, beaver lodges, bear scratch areas, musk mounds etc, plants and flowers of particular interest e.g. orchids). If somebody is out there with a GPS unit, if you could send me the coordinates of the approximate location of were the sap-sucker is lounging about. (To prevent easy disturbance, the information made available to the public will have a built in "error" so that people still have to look around to find the site but will be directed to the general area.)

            Other birds of interest at ERNC:
            --Three-toed woodpecker previously mentioned by Brad Meiklejohn in late May.
            --More Shorebirds: Also one result of one of the beaver ponds draining due to an inactive lodge and deteriorating dams is more exposed mud and more shorebirds, usually I am lucky to here an occasional yellowlegs up there and they are transient. This year there are both yellowlegs sp and spotted sandpipers constantly flitting around by the lower Beaver viewing deck on Rodak Trail. If have seen other 3 other still unidentified shorebird species zoom around the streams & ponds alond Rodak and Albert Loop.
            --Northern Waterthrush: I have had more sightings of northern waterthrush on the upstream leg of the Albert Loop at first bridge.
            --Ruby-crowned Kinglets: Last week the lower Albert Loop also had a dozen or more ruby-crowned kinglets.
            --Strange Robin -- On 5/27 during a Jr. Naturalist bird hike, we saw a robin on the trail. After a few minutes of usual robin hopping about, the robin flattened itself on the trail with both wings spread out flat to the ground. My group was ~30 feet away practicing using binoculars, and I could see any other threat to the robin. It was not taking a dust-bath, nor did it appear to be attempting to distract a predator from a nest (no nests in nearby trees). I've never seen this behavior in a robin - any comments?

            Liza Sanden
            Anchorage, AK
            liza-s@...

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 9, 2006
              Can we get more on the exact location of the sapsucker?
              Dave S.

              Gordon, this might be a duplicate post. I have a bad computer habit
              of pushing "enter" or "tab" too soon. The Dew Mound trail is
              accessed from the Eagle River Visitor Center. It is about a 6
              mi.loop, which goes eastbound from the Center through the woods (up
              and down but not terribly strenuous) for about 3 miles and returns
              via the Crow Pass Crossing trail along the river. As I remember, it
              is well-enoughed marked. There is a parking fee at the Nature
              Center ($5?)
              On anther note, the song sparrow seen near Elderberry park is still
              there, singing away, viewed from the rusted metal fence. If you go
              through the tunnel at Elderberry toward the east and look on the
              fence to the left, he is very cooperative about being seen. Monica
              Jenicek Lyall
              --- In AKBirding@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Tans <tansg@...> wrote:

              > Many birders could be interested in this sapsucker. Where exactly
              is this Dew mound?
              > Gordon Tans
              > Anchorage

              Remember -- Be nice!
              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • dpopham
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 10, 2006
                Unfortunately I cannot be more specific.
                My brother from California, hiking alone, only described it as he was
                attracted to the sound of hammering, he was looking for 3 toes & black
                backed, and followed it to this guy. He was in the general vicinity of
                the pond up that way and found it. He described it as upper and lower
                red on its head, yellow breast, black & whitish on its head. We'd seen
                a few Flickers on a recent trip up the Dalton Hy so I'm confident no
                confusion there.