Adak birds

  • John Puschock
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2006
      The weather on Adak has been terrible for well over a week. Everyone in my
      group was getting sunburn last week. Winds were out of the east, clear
      skies, warm temperatures. Horrible! The locals were loving it, but we
      certainly would have liked something different.

      There haven't been any significant west winds since approximately 18 May,
      but there's been a shift from east to north winds over the past several
      days. Cloudy skies have returned, but there has been no rain other than an
      occasional mist. But there have still been some interesting birds. Not as
      many as I would have liked, but I'll take what I can get:

      Arctic Loon - 1 on 23 May; loon numbers overall still much lower than last
      spring

      Short-tailed Shearwater - an estimated 27,000 in 90 minutes passing west to
      east off of the north end of the island on 27 May

      Smew - the immature male near the airport continues as of 31 May

      Osprey - 1 first found by NatureAlaska/VENT over a week ago continues as of
      31 May

      Snipe - Common and Wilson's both in display flights as of 30 May

      Whimbrel - 5 of the variegatus race 22-24 May, first found by
      NatureAlaska/VENT

      Wood Sandpiper - numbers declined dramatically last week, but at least 2
      still remain as of 30 May

      Gray-tailed Tattler - 1 found by NatureAlaska/VENT on 23 May; continues as
      of 31 May

      Mew Gull - 1 of the brachyrhychus race 23-26 May; 1 kamtschatschensis on 21
      May

      Herring Gull - 1 Vega first seen 22 May, continues as of 31 May

      Black-headed Gull - at least 1 seen occassionally as recently as 29 May

      Cliff Swallow - 3 with a Bank Swallow on 30 May; probably first record for
      Adak

      Brambling - 3 in the past several days: 1 male near the airport 29-30 May, 1
      female near Finger Bay 30 May, another male near Finger Bay 31 May. There
      have been 7 seen on the island in the past two weeks.

      John Puschock
      Bird Treks -- http://www.birdtreks.com