More Shorebirds at the Homer Spit

  • George Matz
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2014

      The high tide this morning at Mud Bay was only 13.4 feet at 7:45 and the weather has changed back to normal.  Temperatures are in the low 40’s, it’s cloudy and there was a much needed drizzle last night.  Nevertheless, there was an large arrival of new shorebirds overnight.

      Gary Lyons stopped by Mud Bay last night at 8:10 and said there were about 300 sandpipers as well as plovers and dowitchers. That is about half as many as there were in the morning.  But this morning there were about 2,600 sandpipers, but about as many plovers and dowitchers. Dale Chorman and I both made a count and were with 100 of each other.  Given the change in weather, it will be interesting to see if they stay here longer.  We have a scheduled monitoring date tomorrow, so there will be more intense coverage.

      George