9784AAS Seward field trip summary

  • Aaron Bowman
    Feb 23, 2014
      Seward was again very good to our Anchorage Audubon field trip group
      A big thank you to the local experts Jim Tasha and Sarah who helped us
      out so much and to the SeaLife Center which hosted our lunch time
      intermission with great presentations by Tasha and Sarah.
      The weather was calm all day allowing us to do some very pleasant sea
      watching. Notably absent were most loons. A single Common Loon and
      Pacific Loon were seen toward the end of the day. Sea ducks were also
      rather sparse in number compared to other years, but what was lacking on
      the water was made up for by great views of a Brambling and rather
      tedious views of a White-throated Sparrow!
      Below is a list of the birds seen by anyone and everyone on that fine
      day (please let me know if I am missing something):
      There were tantalizing but inconclusive views by a few folks, in the
      fading light of the day, of what could have been the Swamp Sparrow back
      at Ava's feeders.

      Aaron Bowman

      Harlequin Duck
      Surf Scoter
      Black Scoter
      Long-tailed Duck
      Common Goldeneye
      Barrow's Goldeneye
      Hooded Merganser (male and female)
      Common Merganser
      Red-breasted Merganser
      Pacific Loon
      Horned Grebe
      Pelagic Cormorant
      Bald Eagle
      Sharp-shinned Hawk
      Common Murre
      Marbled Murrelet
      Mew Gull
      Glaucous-winged Gull
      Herring Gull
      Black-legged Kittiwake
      Rock Pigeon
      Downy Woodpecker
      Hairy Woodpecker
      Black-billed Magpie
      Northern Shrike
      Northwestern Crow
      Common Raven
      Black-capped Chickadee
      Boreal Chickadee
      Chestnut-backed Chickadee
      Red-breasted Nuthatch
      American Robin
      American Tree Sparrow
      White-throated Sparrow*
      Dark-eyed Junco

      37 total species...I am sure I am missing something
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic