9676Fw: The last 2 days in Chenega Bay

  • Kate McLaughlin
    Dec 30, 2013
      Hello Birders,

      Buzz thinks that what I thought was a fox sparrow is a song sparrow.  I tried to reply directly to Buzz, but it bounced back and as others might be interested in this discussion, thought I'd post here.

      I had been going back and forth on this i.d.  The reason we went with fox sparrow is that it has a distinct two-toned bill - yellow with black above. The picture I submitted, you can't really see that as it's bill is covered in snow.  Even though it has a grey stripe on crown above the eye , the bird is more "spotty" than "streaky" on breast, without the grey band.

      I will try to get a better picture for a more positive i.d.   It's been a pretty regular visitor to the feeder, but coming in at dusk, so getting a decent picture has been challenging.

      Kate

      McLaughlin Environmental Services
      PO Box 8043
      Chenega Bay, Alaska 99574
      907/573-2006

      On Monday, December 30, 2013 9:52 AM, "buzzscher@..." <buzzscher@...> wrote:
      your 'fox sparrow' photo is a song sparrow