9282Seward Western Tanagers

  • kacbirder
    Sep 15, 2013

      Julie and I looked for the WESTERN TANAGERS in Seward from 11:00 AM until about 7:00 PM today with a 2 hour break for lunch across the bay at Spring Creek where we picnicked on the beach.

      Saw plenty of thrushes, two merlins, sparrows, warblers, and more of the usual suspects, but came up empty on the WESTERN TANAGERS.

      We worked all blocks from Madison to B Street and between 2nd and 6th Avenues, but finally focused on A Street and 5th/6th Streets as most likely due to the preponderance of thrushes working a few trees in the area.

      After carefully picking over all trees in the area with binoculars, I don't care if I see another thrush for at least......well....a day or two anyway....

      There are many better birders out there than us, so if you are one of those people, you might get luckier than we did!  Good luck!

      Julie and I are going to need to keep out of Seward for awhile as I'm sure the local folk think we're both a couple wackjobs....traipsing around with bonics and camera in hand looking into trees all day.....so good luck to you all.

      Keith Confer

      Anchorage, AK (back from Seward)

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic