619Re: [AK Birding] McKay's Buntings in Kenai

  • Nick Hajdukovich
    Mar 1, 2006

      Just out of a hunch, did it seem like the birds would
      hang around for a while. There's a possibility of me
      chancing them maybe this or next weekend, and was
      wondering if it'd be worth it. Well good birding,

      Nick Hajdukovich, 15

      --- todd_eskelin <t.eskelin@...> wrote:

      > Tuesday the 28th. Searched for the McKays Buntings
      > at the Kenai Flats
      > today. Saw them at a distance and after a 1/2 mile
      > walk they flew
      > back to within 50m of the truck. Trudged back and
      > was able to pick 3
      > clean male McKays out of a flock of 350 Snow
      > Buntings. These are very
      > representative birds and people searching for them
      > should have no
      > trouble finding them. There were 2 other females
      > that looked good for
      > McKays, but I was not comfortable with the call at
      > the distance and
      > light I had available. Camera batteries froze as it
      > was only 10
      > degrees, but I will try for pictures in the next
      > couple of days.
      > Cheers,
      > Todd

      Jr. Birdman