5828Gulls and others in Homer

  • Aaron Lang
    Jan 23, 2011
      For the most part gull watching in Homer this winter has been underwhelming.
      Today (1/23) one of the fish processors was processing and a nice gull flock
      was attracted to the offal outflow near the ferry dock at the end of the
      Homer Spit. There were 550-600 GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS and 300 MEW GULLS. Also
      attracted to the offal was a 1st winter GLAUCOUS GULL and 200-250
      Long-tailed Ducks.On the rising tide at Mud Bay I estimated around 5,000
      ROCK SANDPIPERS. It looked like it might be a good show at or near high
      tide, but unfortunately I was unable to stick around until then. One feisty
      RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET is still coming to my suet feeder about 6 miles east of
      Homer.

      If they keep processing maybe something will blow in on this storm and find
      the food trough.

      Aaron Lang
      Homer, AK