2644Gambell: Sedge Warbler follow-up, other news

  • Paul Lehman
    Oct 1, 2007
      It is still pre-dawn on 1 October, but I thought I'd add a little more
      info on the yesterday's SEDGE WARBLER and add some other miscellaneous
      news from the past few days. If there was any confusion due to the
      date/time stamp of my earlier posting, the Sedge Warbler was found here
      on 30 September (not 1 October) and it was in the Near Boneyard. The
      known eastern limit of its breeding range appears to be about the
      Yenisey River in Russia, a long way's away. The streaks you can see on
      the breast in one of the photos posted on surfbirds.com ("North America
      Stop Press" section), as well as the distinct white tertial edges, etc,
      are indicative of an immature, but it should also be said that the one
      photo makes these streaks seem a bit bolder than they looked in the
      field (actually seemed a bit finer and sparser in reality). Gary also
      has a beautiful shot of the long-staying Eyebrowed Thrush a couple
      photos earlier in the queue on surfbirds.com

      Currently--and thankfully--we have a light NW breeze, so maybe we can
      eek out one more good bird today before the winds returns N and NE and
      pick up again, which is the forecast for much of the rest of the week.
      Gary leaves tomorrow, Tuesday. I leave late Weds. Should get home to
      Cape May on Friday.

      In other recent news, the aforementioned Eyebrowed Thrush was still
      present yesterday, as was the last of the 5 Bramblings, and on 29 Sept I
      refound the Far Boneyard BULLOCK'S Oriole over a mile to the south,
      along the side of the mountain, eating berries. A Varied Thrush on 29
      Sep was the second fall record here, ever, but also the second this
      fall, and there have been additional Am. Tree and White-cr Sparrows (a
      new record seasonal total of 20 of the latter), D-e Junco, we saw the
      WHITE Gyrfalcon again, 4 continuing Snowy Owls, tied my late date for
      Red-throated Pipit, and the "last" Lappies were on the 29th.

      Morning seawatching has been fun, with 10 Spectacled Eiders, Steller's
      Eider, a 25-30 September six-day total of 230 Yellow-billed Loons
      passing the Point (all alternate adults), a total of 4 Arctic Loons,
      late Sabine's Gulls, more Ancient Murrelets, a few lingering Fork-tld
      Storm-Petrels, and a large increase in King Eiders.

      --Paul Lehman
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic