10327Gambell: Willow Warbler, 2 Lesser Sand-Plovers

  • Paul Lehman
    Aug 21, 2014
      We continue to have partly cloudy skies and very mild
      temperatures--between 52-56 degrees--here at Gambell the past several
      days, with relatively few new migrants arriving, until today. A WILLOW
      WARBLER (photo'd) appeared in the far boneyard early this afternoon (21
      Aug), amazingly the 16th individual here since 2002, all in fall, and
      except for also two fall records at St. Paul, constituting all the
      records for North America. All the Gambell records fall between 21 Aug
      and 11 Sep. Also today were 2 juvenile LESSER SAND-PLOVERS (photo'd),
      together, which are rare but essentially annual in both fall and spring
      on the Bering Sea islands and Aleutians. Two of the COMMON RINGED
      PLOVERS (photo'd) continue today as well. From the other direction, an
      imm. GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW is a rare but regular mainland stray, but
      today's bird establishes a new early date by 8 days. A couple
      Red-throated Pipits, a bit of an uptick in Arctic Warbler and Eastern
      Yellow Wagtail numbers, and my first Spectacled Eider of the season. The
      second SLATY-BACKED GULL of the week, and 2 Sandhill Cranes
      (surprisingly scarce in fall, given they are fairly common here in spring).

      The 2nd-cycle RED-LEGGED KITTIWAKE (photo'd) stayed for a second day,
      and there were also several dark-morph Northern Fulmars--rare but
      regular early autumn visitors from the south (all the numerous locally
      nesting fulmars are light-morph birds).

      I have posted PHOTOS of the Willow Warbler, Red-legged Kittiwake, and
      one of the Common Ringed Plovers at surfbirds.com ("N. American Stop
      Press" section). Sorry for the low pixel count, but download speeds here
      at Gambell are somewhat slow.

      --Paul Lehman
    • Show all 161 messages in this topic