10325Harlan's Hawk, light morph, in Far North Bicentennial Park in Anchorage

  • lostinspace501
    Aug 20, 2014

      Walking our leashed dogs, binoculars around our necks and poop bags in hand, we heard then spotted a large, white, bird of prey in a tree next to Basher Lake this morning.  Having seen an Osprey a couple of weeks ago, we convinced ourselves in was an Osprey.  But the call wasn't right.  There was a Merlin sitting in another tree nearby.

      After checking the bird books at home and consulting Cornell's All About Bird's website, we are convinced it was a light morph Harlan's Hawk.  We were hearing the unmistakable call of a  Red Tailed Hawk!  Migrating through, I suppose.

      Moral of the story: you just never know what might turn up.  It's all about birding all the time.  Ya gotta love it.

      Marilyn Houser

      Anchorage