10312Gambell: arrival (mine), 2 C. Ringed Plovers, regular migrants

  • Paul Lehman
    Aug 16, 2014
      I arrived at Gambell AK yesterday, after a 24-hour fog delay--for my
      annual, protracted fall stay--this year scheduled to last for over 6
      weeks, until October 1. This arrival is about a week earlier than my
      usual. In addition, about 10 other independent birders will come and go
      during the season for various lengths of time, and there will be one
      tour group here in early September as well. While delayed in Nome on
      Thursday we had 2 ARCTIC LOONS at the usual stretch of Safety Sound,
      near mile 28, and there's still an active colony of 40+ Aleutian Terns
      near the airport. But overall bird numbers seemed fairly low compared
      to normal for mid-August.

      Here at Gambell, today (16 Aug) we've had 2 separate juvenile COMMON
      RINGED PLOVERS (with close-up photos), which are pretty much annual in
      August (but rarer than in late spring, given the adults have all
      departed already), one-year-old Slaty-backed Gull, and an OK number of
      typical "trans-Beringian" migrants for mid-August: 9 Arctic Warblers, 1
      Bluethroat, 27 Northern Wheatears, 26 Eastern Yellow Wagtails, 8 White
      Wagtails (local breeders), and 2 Red-throated Pipits. Before we
      arrived, local resident Clarence Irrigoo photo'd a rare-but-annual
      hudsonicus WHIMBREL on 5 August and record-early local arrival migrant
      American Pipits on 10 August.

      And it's a balmy 52 degrees.

      --Paul Lehman
    • Show all 157 messages in this topic