Playlist, 4-2-06, Beyond the Lakes, WDBX, Carbondale, IL

  • Jerry Nelms
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2006
      Playlist
      Music from Beyond the Lakes
      Produced by Jerry Nelms and Namdar Mogharreban
      Sundays, 8-10 pm Central Time, USA
      WDBX, 91.1 FM, Carbondale, Illinois (www.wdbx.org)
      Streamed live at wdbx.scientistsuperstar.com

      Profile of the show:
      Music from Beyond the Lakes was first aired on Easter Sunday evening, 1996.
      Jerry Nelms began as the show's sole producer and host. Namdar Mogharreban
      joined as co-host that summer and began producing his first programs in the
      fall. Beyond the Lakes airs eclectic new age and contemtemplative world
      music, both ambient and rhythmic; electronic and acoustic; instrumental and
      vocal. Beyond the Lakes is thematically programmed each week. Jerry's
      understanding of "new age" music: it provides a space for the imagination,
      and, so, can take many different forms but always functions in that way of
      allowing the listener space for the play of the imagination.

      Send all promotional materials to the following:

      Jerry Nelms
      Beyond the Lakes
      114 Magnolia Lane
      Carbondale, Illinois 62903

      Thanks to all musical artists for enriching our world!

      This week's program features music by The Paul Schwartz Project, Kent
      Heckaman, Carl Weingarten, Craig Armstrong, Dave Stringer, Metaphor, Silent
      Sound, Scott Petito, Paul Cardall, Lawrence Lougheed, and Jon O'Bergh.

      April 2, 2006; originally aired August 11, 2002)
      “Earthbound” (repeat) (produced by Jerry Nelms)

      Intro:
      This week, officials released the 911 operators’ responses to calls made
      from the World Trade Center during the September 11, 2001, terrorist
      attacks. It’s important that we learn the lessons that these calls and the
      official responses to them can teach us. But the calls also bring back
      memories of and feelings we experienced during that dreadful day and the
      days following. There are important lessons to be learned from these
      memories and feelings, too. And so, this evening, we’ll hear a repeat
      performance of a program first aired August 11, 2002, that I think can set
      the tone for our reflections. I hope that you agree.

      It’s time now to find a relaxing seat and let the music provide a space for
      your imagination. I’m Jerry, and this is Music from Beyond the Lakes.

      Woody Allen once joked, “Life is full of misery, loneliness, and
      suffering—and it’s all over much too soon.” The humor of that quote comes,
      of course, from the contradiction of its parts, not because either is
      untrue. Life IS full of sadness and suffering, and it IS over much too
      soon.

      Sigmund Freud once divided the sufferings of this world into three
      categories. (1) There are the changes of our own physical bodies, which are
      “doomed to decay and dissolution,” he said—the aches and pains of ageing and
      illness, and inevitable death, mortality. (2) There are the sufferings
      which come at us from the larger world of political pride, commercial greed,
      envy, crime, poverty, and the inevitable semi-trailer bearing down on your
      passenger side, the driver asleep at the wheel. (3) And of course, there
      are our relations with others, the fact of our individual separateness,
      suspicion, loneliness, guilt, and regret.

      This is our world. We can’t escape it. Sadly, however, many of us are in
      denial. We spend too much time these days desperately searching for a
      transcendent happiness that will guide us permanently away from the
      inevitable sadness in our lives. We want a machine or a pill or an easy
      technique that will tighten our abs and protect us from cancer. We look for
      a religion that will insure us peace or a guru who will assure us financial
      stability. We search for just the right how-to books on tape to help us
      find love and make friends. We seek peace in the form of smart bombs.

      Yet, as Buddhism makes clear, misery, loneliness, and suffering—these are
      the default states of this world. “Happiness,” the Greek writer Euripides
      once said, “is brief. It will not stay.” It’s something achieved only to
      be lost. It takes effort to achieve it again. And there are no foolproof
      formulas to guarantee its retention. As 19th-Century novelist Nathaniel
      Hawthorne once wrote:
      Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our
      grasp, but if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.

      It is worth emphasizing that tentative “may”: It “may light upon you.”
      Eventually, inevitably, it flutters away.

      Life is sadness, transcendence temporary. We’re all earthbound, imprisoned
      in our individual cells, the inevitable victims of the vicissitudes of this
      world. Yet, we can achieve that temporary, all-too-brief happiness—the
      temporary solace, the temporary transcendence we seek—and perhaps even a
      contentment of sorts, a state of, if not satisfaction, something approaching
      satisfaction. We do so through compassion, trust, and love—love in all of
      its various forms: romantic, erotic, friendly, and spiritual. We do so,
      too, through an acceptance of life on its own terms, no denial, no
      struggling against misfortune, no blaming others. We need not submit to
      injustice, but we must accept its reality. We must be both idealists and
      realists. Perhaps the best that we can do is struggle for the ideal of
      justice, happiness, and transcendence and then return home every night to
      find whatever contentment can be found in the short time we have with loved
      ones, friends, and our deity in solitude.

      Let’s reflect, then, on this world of sadness and the possibilities for
      contentment tonight in a program of instrumental music and song, entitled
      “Earthbound.” Our first half-hour will be devoted to five tracks from the
      CD from which we took the title of our program this evening. It’s by The
      Paul Schwartz Project. In our second half-hour, we’ll hear deeply wistful
      and pensive music by Kent Heckaman, Carl Weingarten, and Craig Armstrong.

      We’re meditating tonight on our world of suffering and the possibilities of
      contentment, if not transcendence, our “Earthbound” human condition that
      leaves us searching for the light from Beyond the Lakes.

      8:00-8:30pm
      The Paul Schwartz Project – Earthbound – RCA Victor/Windham Hill – 2002
      “Nocturne”
      “Earthbound”
      “River of Stars”
      “Thalaster”
      “How Many Fools”

      8:30-9:00pm
      Kent Heckaman – Transitions – Transition Productions – 2003
      “October Leaf/Through the Trees/April Leaf”
      Carl Weingartern – Escapesilence – Multiphase Records – 2002
      “escapesilence”
      Craig Armstrong – As If To Nothing – Virgin Records and Melankolic – 2002
      “Wake Up in New York”
      “Finding Beauty”
      “Waltz”
      “Starless II”

      This evening, we’re contemplating the inherent sadness of our human
      condition and temporary nature of any transcendence of that condition—our
      “earthboundedness,” if you will. Mortality, mutability, violence, and
      distrust—all are inescapable realities. Yet it is within our power to
      achieve happiness, albeit temporarily. A more permanent contentment may
      also be possible, but it requires an acceptance of the world as a place of
      suffering; it requires genuine compassion, trust, and love.

      Guitarist and dobro player Carl Weingarten returns to begin our second hour
      with another pensive track from Escapesilence. After that, we’ll hear two
      songs by Dave Stringer from Brink; and the atmospheric title track to Judson
      Bridge, the recent release by guitarist and Ebow player Mike Croswell, going
      under the name Metaphor. And we’ll end our third half-hour with three
      haunting selections from Nightfall by the duo of mandolin player Butch
      Baldassari and keyboardist/percussionist David Hoffner, who call themselves
      Silent Sound. In our final half-hour, we’ll hear two ambient pieces by the
      bassist from the poetry/rock group The Fugs, Scott Petito, from [s-bace],
      spelled Sb?ss, Music; a shimmering, somewhat apprehensive piano piece from
      Paul Cardall’s CD Miracles—A Journey of Hope and Healing; a sparkling
      composition by Canadian pianist/keyboardist Lawrence [luh-geed] Lougheed
      from Time Shadows; and picturesque music by California pianist/keyboardist
      Jon O’Bergh from Meditations from a Lost World. And finally, Craig
      Armstrong will return to end our program with his song “Let It Be Love,”
      featuring vocalist Steven Lindsay, from As If To Nothing.

      We’re “Earthbound,” tonight on Music from Beyond the Lakes.

      9:00-9:30pm
      Carl Weingartern – Escapesilence – Multiphase Records – 2002
      “Hand In the Sand”
      Dave Stringer – Brink – Magnetic Melodies – 2002
      “Checking the Arithmetic”
      “The Satellite Sky”
      Metaphor – Judson Bridge – PFK Publishing – 2001
      “Judson Bridge”
      Silent Sound – Nightfall – Spring Hill Music – 2002
      “As Far As I Can See”
      “For the Rainy Days”
      “Frangenti”

      9:30-10:00pm
      Scott Petito – Sb?ss Music – Hudson Valley Records – 2002
      “Afternoon in a Cloud”
      “Beautifully Fearfully Made”
      Paul Cardall – Miracles—A Journey of Hope and Healing – Stone Angel Music –
      2001
      “Voices”
      Lawrence Lougheed – Time Shadows – Melodialworks Music – 2002
      “Shades of Mystery”
      Jon O’Bergh – Meditations from a Lost World – Timescape – 2002
      “Temple of the Great Jaguar”
      Craig Armstrong – As If To Nothing – Virgin Records and Melankolic – 2002
      “Let It Be Love”