Playlist, 4-9-06, Beyond the Lakes, WDBX, Carbondale, IL

  • Jerry Nelms
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10 10:32 AM
      Playlist
      Music from Beyond the Lakes
      Produced by Jerry Nelms and Namdar Mogharreban
      Sundays, 8-10 pm Central Time, USA
      WDBX, 91.1 FM, Carbondale, Illinois (www.wdbx.org)
      Streamed live at wdbx.scientistsuperstar.com

      Profile of the show:
      Music from Beyond the Lakes was first aired on Easter Sunday evening, 1996.
      Jerry Nelms began as the show's sole producer and host. Namdar Mogharreban
      joined as co-host that summer and began producing his first programs in the
      fall. Beyond the Lakes airs eclectic new age and contemtemplative world
      music, both ambient and rhythmic; electronic and acoustic; instrumental and
      vocal. Beyond the Lakes is thematically programmed each week. Jerry's
      understanding of "new age" music: it provides a space for the imagination,
      and, so, can take many different forms but always functions in that way of
      allowing the listener space for the play of the imagination.

      Send all promotional materials to the following:

      Jerry Nelms
      Beyond the Lakes
      114 Magnolia Lane
      Carbondale, Illinois 62903

      Thanks to all musical artists for enriching our world!

      This week's program features music by Carl Weingarten, David Gilmore, Erik
      Wøllo, Brian Henke, Chris Field, Frank Van Bogaert, Máiréad, Reef Project,
      Chad Hoefler, Embrase, Tone Ghost Ether, Gretchen Yanover, and Dave Eggar.

      April 9, 2006
      “The Blue” (produced by Jerry Nelms)

      “Life is a shipwreck,” the philosopher Voltaire once said. Then he added,
      “But we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” Life can be hard. You
      learn that lesson over and over as you grow older. More things happen to
      people you know. It can get harder and harder to find a song. And yet, as
      20th-Century southern writer Ellen Glasgow once pointed out, “No life is so
      hard that you can’t make it easier by the way you take it.” The winds of
      change will pick up, the seas will grow more turbulent, but we can adjust
      our sails and ride out the storms. And if the worst happens, we can sing in
      the lifeboats.

      I imagine our song might be the blues or something like it. That label
      comes from the notion of experiencing what was once called the blue
      devils—that is, low spirits, sadness. But the music itself, the blues,
      functions in the just the opposite manner—songs about suffering and sorrow
      that make the listener happy, as incongruous as that sounds.

      The blues, then, in addition to being a musical genre, is also a label for
      depression. And yet, blue is also associated with the sky, and blue sky
      often denotes just the opposite mental state, one of happiness and
      creativity.

      It may be worth noting that English is actually one of the few major
      languages that distinguishes blue from other colors. Many languages
      conceive of blue and green as the same color category. In Vietnamese, for
      example, the grass and the sky are both called the same color.

      In fact, the color blue seems an apt emblem for the strange continuity of
      happiness and sadness that marks the human condition. For happiness never
      really appears “out of the blue,” as it were, never emerging except out of
      its complimentary opposite, sadness—or at least, the very real potential for
      sadness. Indeed, as many philosophers and theologians have noted throughout
      the centuries, happiness comes as much through attitude, a change in one’s
      thinking, as it does from some external source. “Turn your face to the
      sun,” a Maori proverb goes, “and the shadows fall behind you.” “Let us
      rise up and be thankful,” Buddha says, “for if we didn’t learn a lot today,
      at least we learned a little, and if we didn’t learn a little, at least we
      didn’t get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn’t die; so, let us all
      be thankful.” I’m reminded of an exchange between the eternally doleful
      Eeyore and Christopher Robin in one of A. A. Milne’s Winnie the Pooh books:

      “It’s snowing still,” said Eeyore gloomily.
      “So it is.” [says Christopher Robin]
      “And freezing.”
      “Is it?”
      “Yes,” said Eeyore. “However,” he said, brightening up a little, “we haven’
      t had an earthquake lately.”

      19th-Century psychologist William James once wrote that “the greatest
      discovery of my generation” is that human beings can altar their lives by
      altering their attitudes. Health writer Paula Wart offers a number of what
      she calls “tried-and-true depression-fighting remedies,” including, among
      others, exercise, relaxation, talking to a friend, creative expression, and
      just keeping busy. The key first step for all of them, of course, is making
      the commitment to not allow the darkness to overwhelm us.

      And so it is, even on the sunniest day, we know the dark gray-blue clouds
      are just below the horizon. Here in the Midwest, we know all too well how
      storms can fire up in minutes and how destructive they can be. We should
      never deny the inevitable turn in the weather. The storms will come. We
      can’t control the winds. But we can control how we experience those winds
      and storms. We can enjoy the bright sunshine, clear blue sky, and cool
      water, even as we keep a wetted finger in the air to see which way the wind
      blows. And in our preparations, let’s include a song.

      And so, this evening, let’s think about how we can adapt our attitudes
      toward the inevitable vicissitudes of life through a program of music
      entitled “The Blue.” We begin with this lightly bluesy guitar piece by
      Carl Weingarten. Later, we’ll hear two tracks from former Pink Floyd lead
      guitarist David Gilmore’s recently released On An Island, including a
      somewhat eccentric instrumental and then the song from which we took the
      title of our program, “The Blue.” We’ll also hear two haunting compositions
      by Norwegian guitarist Erik Wøllo; and then, a short guitar piece by Brian
      Henke. In our second half-hour, we’ll hear three lush yet edgy compositions
      by prolific film trailer composer Chris Field. And we’ll end our first hour
      with sanguine electronics by Belgian sound artist Frank Van Bogaert.

      On our program tonight, we’re contemplating the continuity of happiness and
      sadness, represented in the many different associations we have for the
      color blue, a continuity that, when realized, helps us see beyond the
      mindless categorizing of our world and helps us see into the unity that
      awaits us Beyond the Lakes.

      8:00-8:30pm
      Carl Weingarten – Hand in the Sand – Multiphase Records – 2004
      “Holographic Blues”
      David Gilmore – On An Island – David Gilmore – 2006
      “Then I Close My Eyes”
      “The Blue”
      Erik Wøllo – Blue Sky, Red Guitars – Spotted Peccary – 2004
      “Rain Tree”
      “Silent Nostalgia”
      Brian Henke – The Nature of Light – VisionQuest – 2005
      “Blue”

      8:30-9:00pm
      Chris Field – Sub-Conscious – Tosca Road – 2005
      “Blue”
      “Days”
      “D & A”
      Frank Van Bogaert – One Out of Five – Groove Unlimited – 2006
      “Blue”

      Tonight, we’ve taken the color blue as our program theme with the idea that
      blue, with its many varied, sometimes even contradictory, associations,
      provides us with inspiration to think about the continuity of happiness and
      sadness. In fact, it may be that our modern, Western view of emotions as
      discrete dualistic oppositions is simply wrong. Perhaps, instead, our
      emotions are more complicated blends of feelings, such that we can
      simultaneously feel sad and content. I’m betting that all of us can imagine
      those kinds of experiences.

      We begin our second hour, then, with two Celtic-flavored and lightly jazzy
      compositions by the violinist of the Celtic Woman group, [Ma-raid] Máiréad
      Nesbitt, who goes simply by Máiréad. We’ll continue with twilit electronic
      music by Jacob A. Ofilas, who calls himself Reef Project; nocturnal ambience
      by Chad Hoefler; and bittersweet electronica by Marc Bras, a Dutch
      electronic musician who calls himself Embrase. In our final half-hour, we’
      ll hear smoky ambience by the trio of Kit Watkins, John Tlusty, and Brad
      Allen (a.k.a. Tone Ghost Ether); soothing, dusky cello music by Gretchen
      Yanover; two pensive compositions by cellist Dave Eggar; and guitarist Carl
      Weingarten returns with a shadowy piece from his most recent collection.
      And we’ll end this evening’s program with a final song from David Gilmore’s
      On An Island. “The Blue,” tonight from Beyond the Lakes.

      9:00-9:30pm
      Máiréad – Raining Up – Manhatten Records – 2005
      “Within the Blue Suite: 1st Movement”
      “Bluelights”
      Reef Project – Star – Biohazard – 2001
      “Blue Star”
      Chad Hoefler – Quiet Glow – Lotuspike – 2005
      “Radiant Blue”
      Embrase – Dreamworld – Groove Unlimited – 2005
      “Blue Ambiance”

      9:30-10:00pm
      Tone Ghost Ether – Condor Sail Curve – Tone Ghost Ether – 2002
      “Blue Smoke Screen”
      Gretchen Yanover – Bow and Cello – Gretchen Yanover – 2005
      “Cedar”
      Dave Eggar – Left of Blue – Domo Records – 2005
      “Deep Blue”
      “Tempest”
      Carl Weingarten – Local Journeys – Multiphase Records – 2005
      “Cassini’s Blues”
      David Gilmore – On An Island – David Gilmore – 2006
      “Where We Start”