Advance for Design London: Meeting, Thursday 4 May

  • Advance for Design London/Nico Macdonald
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2000
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'lonadv4design' list please join (details at the end).

      You are invited to the second Advance for Design London meeting.

      When:
      Thursday 4 May, 6:30 for 7PM (until about 9PM)
      Where:
      The Design Council, Bow Street, London WC2
      http://www.design-council.org.uk/about/contactdetails.html
      RSVP:
      mailto:RSVP@...?Subject=lonadv4design%20May00

      INTRODUCTION...
      - - - -
      The first Advance for Design London meeting was a great success with over thirty people pitching up. The enthusiasm and level of debate indicated that people interested in experience design need to get away from the 'codeface' to swap stories and learning. The second meeting should be even more fun. (We will be running monthly events on the first Thursday of each month.)

      A BIT OF BACKGROUND...
      - - - -
      The Advance for Design forum was launched in November 1999 as a sub-group of the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA).

      THE EVENT
      - - - -
      Please RSVP if you plan to attend. If you don't you may end up having to stand (but I am sure that is character forming).

      Show and Tell (see below for a definition)
      -- Phil Barrett of Flow Interactive.
      -- Matt Jones of Sapient.
      -- Martyn Perks of Pres.co.
      -- Rachel Abrams, Computer-Related Design student at the RCA.

      Web Critique
      -- Nico Macdonald will critique a number of Web-based email services. Web-based email was the first mass market Web application; being the most understood it is the application that people make most demands upon, and hence has matured fastest. Under the microscope will be:
      - http://www.netaddress.com/
      - http://www.hotmail.com/
      - http://mail.yahoo.com/
      - http://www.another.com/
      - http://www.eudoramail.com/
      - Open Interactive TV mail client (if we're in luck)

      Discussion: 'New forms for the design industry'
      -- What are the forms the design/Internet industry take in future and what roles designers will play.

      There will plenty of time to hang out, swap stories and get up-to-date with recent developments after the presentations.

      Artifact Show and Tell
      - - - -
      'Words _and_ pictures'. Design cannot be described only in words, and publication of our research and work must include both. To continue to describe design by 'what we do and how we do it'. In a Show and Tell we present an artifact, that is a tool used in the design process -- a paper sketch, a diagram, a demo, a PowerPoint presentation, a framework -- anything! Seven minutes for the presenter and three minutes for questions.

      WHO SHOULD COME
      - - - -
      You and any of your friends and colleagues who feels like they belong in this community. You do _not_ need to be an AIGA member to come to this gathering.

      THE GOAL OF THE ADVANCE FOR DESIGN FORUM
      - - - -
      Design, as it evolves, has yet to be defined in ways which are broadly accepted, yet its substance is understood by its practitioners: user behavior and experience; look and feel; functionality and engineering; experience with the effectiveness of time and motion; and the impact of these experiences on structure, language and navigation. Continued at...
      http://advance.aiga.org/mission/index.html

      JOIN THE LIST
      - - - -
      If you are not already on it please sign up to our announcement list at:
      http://www.egroups.com/list/lonadv4design/
      (We will be making this eGroups list ad free shortly.)

      Nico Macdonald
      Design Agenda and Advance for Design London
    • Design Agenda
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2000
        Nico,

        I'm afraid I won't be able to make it (again), I'll be on a plane to Venice.

        I'll forward to to a few people

        Kevin McCullagh
        kevin@...