Event: Designing the Future of RFID - Wednesday 30 March

  • AIGA Experience Design London/Nico Macdo
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2005
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'AIGAExpDesLondon' list please join (details at the end).

      You are invited to the forty-sixth AIGA Experience Design London meeting.

      At this event we will look at how design can investigate future uses of a new technology, in this case radio frequency identification (RFID) tags. The event is being programmed with Gill Wildman of Plot.

      RFID tags allow already enable a wide variety of applications, from Transport for London's Oyster Card to Walmart's palette tracking system. But their real potential is barely understood. Can design approaches help to reveal new applications?

      We will begin with two introductions, on RFID in general and the design issues in particular. We will then move from presentation mode to an 'Interactionary' in which we want _you_ to be involved. An Interactionary is a live design challenge, conducted by volunteer teams who are given a previously unknown design problem to work through and solve in public.

      -> If you want to form a team you will have to act fast! If you don't have
      a team but want to be involved please contact us and we will find you a
      team. mailto:RSVP@...?Subject=Interactionary%20team

      When:
      Wednesday 30 March, 6:30 for 7 PM (until 9:00 PM)
      Where:
      The Design Council, 34 Bow Street, London WC2E 7DL
      (opposite the Royal Opera House)
      http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/howtofindus/
      RSVP:
      mailto:RSVP@...?Subject=AIGAExpDesLondon%20Mar%202005
      There is no payment to attend.
      Drinks will be available to those who arrive early.
      Please email all enquiries to this address, not the Design Council.

      THE EVENT
      - - - -
      Interactionary: Introduction to RFID technology
      -- Martin Swerdlow, founder and CEO, Integrated Product Intelligence Ltd.
      http://www.ipi-uk.com/about.htm

      Interactionary: Design issues around RFID
      -- Gill Wildman, Plot. Gill recently co-programmed a half-day seminar in London entitled 'The elephant in the room: bringing innovation into RFID'.
      http://www.plotsite.net/

      Interactionary: Design challenges
      -- Three teams of up to four people will be given 30 minutes thinking and working time to solve the same interaction design problem (which will be revealed at the time). They will be asked to create a storyboard, paper prototype or service ecology diagram to explain their concept. Each team will then have 5 minutes to present their solution and the thinking behind it. A panel of judges will critique their approach, and commentary from attendees will be invited.
      -- If you want to form a team you will have to be quick. Please reply to this address (with the subject line 'Interactionary team') and tell us the names, affiliations and email addresses of up to three other people who will be in your team. Teams can include non-designers, and the members don't have to be from the same company. If you don't have a team but want to be involved please contact us and we will find you a team. Teams will have access to a large whiteboard or flipchart; if you would like other tools please indicate this.

      Report back: The O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference (San Diego, CA)
      -- Report on one of the IT industry's most intriguing events
      http://conferences.oreillynet.com/etech/

      Full biographies, and notes from the last event, can be found at:
      http://www.experiencedesign.org/edlondon

      BACKGROUND TO INTERACTIONARIES
      - - - -
      The Interactionary is an idea liberally filched from the ACM SIGCHI conferences. The purpose of this element of the event is to help attendees learn about how other people approach design problems; help the participants clarify and think about their own process; and have fun! The last Interactionary we ran was in June 2001, with volunteer teams from Oyster Partners and Electronic Ink Associates, and a 'scratch' team of independents. More on Interactionaries from Scott Berkun's site:
      http://www.uiweb.com/dsports/default.htm

      NEXT EVENT
      - - - -
      The next event will be on user interface design for mobile devices.