Event: Re-visiting the 'user' - Tuesday 14 October

  • AIGA Experience Design London/Nico Macdo
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2003
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'AIGAExpDesLondon' list please join (details at the end).

      You are invited to the thirty-seventh AIGA Experience Design London meeting.

      RE-VISITING THE 'USER'

      User-centred design -- once an obscure philosophy discussed at Xerox PARC and SRI -- is now widely accepted in design and beyond. In its day it was a great step forward, but much has changed since then and we need to re-visit it. Computers are no longer used just used for Taylorist, task-based work, and they are no longer confined to desks and offices. Computing is becoming pervasive and computer-based devices are used by almost everyone in the West. Users -- or as John Thackara has it "the people, formerly known as 'users'" -- are really doers or actors. They are multi-dimensional and smart, willing to learn difficult tools when they need to, and adapt things to their own requirements as they see fit. We will investigate what models, methods and approaches are appropriate to designing for people twenty years on from the Xerox Star. Please join us for what should be a lively event.

      THE EVENT
      - - - -
      Presentations: Re-visiting the 'user'
      -- We will have presentations from Simon Rubens, principal of new experience limited, Alex Wilkie, a research student at Goldsmiths College and partner at satellite-b, and Alex McKie, a self-professed agent provacateur, formerly at the Henley Centre for Forecasting. (Full details can be found on the group Web site.)

      Report back: HCI 2003
      -- We hope to have a report on the British HCI Group's annual conference from Catriona Campbell of The Usability Company.

      DETAILS
      - - - -
      When:
      Tuesday 14 October, 6:30 for 7PM (until 9:00 PM)
      Where:
      The Design Council, 34 Bow Street, London WC2E 7DL
      (opposite the Royal Opera House)
      http://www.designcouncil.info/webdav/servlet/XRM?Page/@id=6002&Section/@id=1052
      RSVP:
      mailto:RSVP@...?Subject=AIGAExpDesLondon%20Oct%202003
      There is no payment to attend. Attendance will be limited to 70 people.
      Please only RSVP if you are likely to be able to attend.
      Please email all enquiries to this address, not the Design Council.

      NEXT EVENT
      - - - -
      Our Thursday 6 November event will look at the impact that graphic design and graphic designers have had on design for the Web. We will also investigate where graphic design skills, methods and thinking will be valuable as network and software technologies open up new possibilities.