Event: Understanding the future of mobile devices - Wednesday 6 August

  • AIGA Experience Design London/Nico Macdo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2003
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'AIGAExpDesLondon' list please join (details at the end).

      You are invited to the thirty-fifth AIGA Experience Design London meeting.

      UNDERSTANDING THE FUTURE OF MOBILE DEVICES

      Understanding the factors and dynamics shaping the future of mobile devices and services is becoming increasingly important. The 1.3 billion mobile phones in the world easily top the installed base of PCs, and these aren't the only mobile devices that are connected. Mobile devices are always available, are more personal that personal computers, and can be aware of location and activity -- all valuable supports to good design solutions. Their uptake is shaped by business and social trends, infrastructure developments and functionality, cost and payment models, while their use is shaped by task requirements, environment, cultural issues, regulation, and user adaptation.

      Even more than the personal computer, mobile platforms have been balkanised, and are often completely closed. Today the fight over the user experience and 'average revenue per user' has pitted operators, device manufacturers, OS developers, software vendors, and content and service providers in a bloody battle. As WiFi and Bluetooth wirelessly enable personal computers even more heavyweights enter the fray. Meanwhile new services such as photo-messaging, networked gaming, IM, and 'push-to-talk' all promise to deliver the 'SMS effect'.

      Understanding the interplay of all these factors, and their future dynamics, is critical for anyone designing products, OSes, software or services for mobile use. And we haven't even started on the implications of convergence, form factor and ergonomics, cognition and usability, and prototyping methods (which we will leave to a future event).

      THE EVENT
      - - - -
      Presentations: Understanding the future of mobile devices
      -- We will have presentations from Timothy Ryan and Karl Humphreys of Orange, Joe Odukoya of Symbian, and Kris Cohen of the University of Surrey Department of Sociology INCITE programme (TBC). Lucy Kimbell will act as interlocutor. (Full details to be published on the group Web site, below, on 30 July.)

      DETAILS
      - - - -
      When:
      Wednesday 6 August, 6:30 for 7PM (until 9:00 PM)
      Where:
      The Design Council, 34 Bow Street, London WC2E 7DL
      (opposite the Royal Opera House)
      http://www.designcouncil.info/webdav/servlet/XRM?Page/@id=6002&Section/@id=1052
      RSVP:
      mailto:RSVP@...?Subject=AIGAExpDesLondon%20Aug%202003
      There is no payment to attend. Attendance will be limited to 70 people.
      Please only RSVP if you are likely to be able to attend.
      Please email all enquiries to this address, not the Design Council.

      NEXT EVENT
      - - - -
      Our next event is planned for Wednesday 3 September. In the next few months we hope to follow up this month's event with a session on designing for mobile devices, with presenters Annette Wagner from the Java Software division of Sun Microsystems and/or Sally Barton of Microsoft's Mobile Devices division.