Event: Documenting Design - Wednesday 15 January

  • Nico Macdonald <nico@design-agenda.org.u
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2003
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you
      are not already on the 'AIGAExpDesLondon' list please join
      (details at the end).

      You are invited to the twenty-ninth AIGA Experience Design
      London meeting.

      When:
      Wednesday 15 January, 6:30 for 7PM (until 8:45 PM)
      Where:
      The Design Council, 34 Bow Street, London WC2E 7DL

      http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/design/content/how_to_find_us.
      jsp
      (opposite the Royal Opera House)
      RSVP:

      mailto:RSVP@...?Subject=AIGAExpDesLon
      don%20Jan%202003
      There is no payment to attend. Please email all enquiries to
      this address, not the Design Council.

      INTRODUCTION
      - - - -
      At our first event of 2003 we consider how we can effectively
      document design projects, which is a key focus of the
      forthcoming Designing for User Experiences conference. We
      also consider the key issues for experience design in the next
      year.

      Please note that the Yahoo! Group has changed to
      <AIGAExperienceDesign>. This is only an issue if someone
      wants to un/subscribe by email or find the archives of the this
      list, which are now at:

      DESIGNING FOR USER EXPERIENCES CONFERENCE
      June 5-7 2003, San Francisco
      - - - -
      DUX2003 will gather together designers of all kinds to truly
      understand not only what makes for a quality user experience,
      but also what factors contribute to the creation of a success or a
      failure. DUX2003 will look at all facets of the product/service
      development lifecycle and at other facets of a business and
      business decisions that affect the user experience.

      The two submission categories are Studies (maximum 15
      pages) and Sketches (maximum 4 pages). All submissions will
      be peer reviewed and the authors of those that are accepted will
      be invited to present their submission at the event in San
      Francisco. There is a lot of interesting work in the UK from which
      others could learn -- please consider making a submission. The
      deadline is 1 February. All further information at:
      http://www.dux2003.org/

      THE EVENT
      - - - -
      Presentation: Documenting our work
      -- Case studies are a key tool in the world of business studies
      as they present experience in a way that it can be shared and
      learned from. What makes a good and useful case study in
      experience design? Nico Macdonald presents his views and
      asks for your responses
      - Nico Macdonald is author of 'What is Web Design?'
      (RotoVision, 2003)
      which features ten case studies of interaction design projects
      from
      the US and the UK, covering Web publishing, car retailing,
      healthcare, football club information, online discussion,
      intranets,
      organisational Web sites, and corporate information
      visualisation.
      He is also organiser of AIGA Experience Design London.

      Presentation: Top tools
      -- We will have a number of presentations from regular
      attendees of tools and techniques that they believe attendees
      will find valuable.

      Discussion: The year ahead
      -- This will be an informal discussion in which you can air your
      views about the key issues for experience design in the next
      year.

      NEXT EVENT
      - - - -
      Our February event will take place on Wednesday 12 February. It
      will focus on interaction design and mass communication and
      feature a presentation by Julia Whitney of Boston-based
      television producer WGBH. Whitney recently won a BAFTA
      Interactive Entertainment Awards in the Online Learning
      Category for her work on the Web site that accompanied the PBS
      documentary 'Commanding Heights'
      (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/commandingheights/).

      Our Wednesday 12 March event will focus on programming and
      design, with presentations from Casey Reas of Interaction-Ivrea,
      and Danny Brown of SHOWstudio.

      In April we hope to focus on service design with presentations
      from London-based Live|work and others.

      JOIN THE LIST
      - - - -
      If you are not already on it please sign up to our announcement
      list at: