Event: Adaptive Design - Thursday 5 December

  • AIGA Experience Design London/Nico Macdo
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2002
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'lonadv4design' list please join (details at the end).

      You are invited to the twenty-eighth AIGA Experience Design London meeting.

      When:
      Thursday 5 December, 6:30 for 7PM (until 8:30 PM)
      Where:
      The Design Council, 34 Bow Street, London WC2E 7DL
      http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/design/content/how_to_find_us.jsp
      (opposite the Royal Opera House)
      RSVP:
      mailto:RSVP@...?Subject=lonadv4design%20Dec%202002
      There is no payment to attend. Please email all enquiries to
      this address, not the Design Council.

      INTRODUCTION
      - - - -
      This month's event on adaptive design picks up on two complementary themes. Many applications, such as email and spreadsheets, are adopted for unexpected uses and need to be designed in ways that don't close down these possible uses. Additionally, the process of using a tool even for its intended application _is_ to customise or personalise it and in this sense users are the final designers of products. We will ask how design practice should adapt to take this into account.

      Plus: see the Red Side end-of-year party announcement below.

      THE EVENT
      - - - -
      Presentation: Dan Hill 'Towards designing for adaptation'
      - "Dan Hill is Lead Designer for Music at BBCi, working across
      many music-oriented Web sites. He has worked in Web design since 1995,
      and built one of the first UK sites based around urban networks,
      Manchester's Northern Quarter Network. He spent three years at
      London-based state51, where he designed many music industry Web sites.
      His personal Weblog can be found at:
      http://cityofsound.com/blog/

      Presentation: Ann Light 'Users as designers -- the challenge of the network age'
      -- "No one is going to be able to second-guess the range of uses that systems
      will be stretched to support as networks replace stand-alone devices and
      wired spaces take over from computers. So it's time to produce stuff that
      anticipates the need for adaptation and offers people a partnership as
      end-designers."
      - Ann Light is editor of UsabilityNews.com and a visiting research fellow
      at the University of Sussex. She has a background in interaction design
      research for networked media.

      Neil Gibb of Kane Gibb Associates will be interlocutor for the talks.

      Some of these theses were outlined by IBM Almaden researcher Tom Moran in his talk at DIS2002, which is available at http://www.sigchi.org/DIS2002/

      THE RED SIDE END-OF-YEAR PARTY
      - - - -
      Given how much value attendees get from talking to one another we decided that a end-of-year party might be in order and have jumped onto the bandwagon of an industry-wide event supported by, among others, BIMA, Chinwag, electronicpublishing.org, e-consultancy, e-womenforum, netimperative, Ryze, and The Glasshouse.

      When:
      Thursday 5 December, 6.30 PM until 3 PM
      Where:
      The Propaganda Bar, 20 Wardour Street, London W1
      (nearest tube: Oxford Circus, 10 minutes walk from the Design Council)
      Cost:
      Tickets cost £15, and include two drinks at the bar, Thai food,
      tequila shots, "all to the accompaniment of the finest DJs in
      new media land"
      More info and registration:
      http://www.theredside.com/
      Payment can be made by credit, debit or charge card

      We will finish the event earlier than usual so that you can make the most of the party. (We know £15 is a bit pricey but it is only the cost of a large round of drinks in London.)

      NEXT EVENT
      - - - -
      Our January our event should take place on Wednesday 15 January and will either address the role of aesthetics and emotion in designing computer-based systems, or the relationship of programming and design. Please see the Web site for updates:
      http://www.experiencedesign.aiga.org/edlondon

      MANCHESTER GROUP
      - - - -
      David Hawdale and Bev Evans are planning to start an AIGA Experience Design group in Manchester in the new year. Anyone interested in helping with this valuable please contact mailto:AIGAExpDesManchester@...

      JOIN THE LIST
      - - - -
      If you are not already on it please sign up to our announcement list at: