Event: Games design - This Friday

  • AIGA Experience Design London/Nico Macdo
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2002
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'lonadv4design' list please join (details at the end).

      You are invited to the twenty-fifth AIGA Experience Design London meeting. It is not at our usual venue.

      When:
      Friday 6 September, 5PM (visit Game On), 6:15PM (talk)
      Where:
      Game On, Level 3, The Barbican Arts Centre, London EC2
      See the sweet and well-designed map linked from:
      http://www.gameonweb.co.uk/info.htm
      then at 6:15PM
      Pintxos (upstairs), base of Shakespeare Tower, Barbican, London EC2
      Shakespeare Tower is shown in the middle of the above map. See also:
      http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?pc=EC2Y+8DR
      RSVP (click below):
      mailto:RSVP@...?Subject=lonadv4design%20Sep%202002
      Please add 'Both' or 'Talk only' to the subject line.
      Costs:
      Entry to 'Game On' will cost £5 (usual price £11) as part of the
      AIGA Experience Design group. Cash payments will be collected by
      Nico Macdonald outside the entrance to exhibition on Level Three.
      _We will go into the exhibition at 5:10PM_. If you are late you will
      have to pay the full £11.
      There is no charge for the venue (Pintxos) but please spend at least
      £7 on drinks -- otherwise we will have pay a cover charge.

      INTRODUCTION
      - - - -
      What can experience design learn from games design? Visit the Game On exhibition and discuss 'Joystick Nation' author JC Herz's controversial theses. (For an explanation of our late announcement please see the last posting. We had a healthy response to our poll -- thanks to those who voted.)

      THE EVENT
      - - - -
      The 'Game On' exhibition at the Barbican (which finishes on Sunday 15 September) is the most comprehensive review to date of computer-based games. Organised by Lucien King, 'Game On' moves from the first computer used for gaming (the punched tape-driven DEC PDP-1) all the way to Lara Croft, with artifacts from the design of some of the games on show, including an intelligent commentary

      The second part of the event will look at what experience design can learn from games design. JC Herz will argue that games design lays the foundations for the design principles of the twenty-first century, and that other areas of design have and do ignore them at their peril. "Visual representation has nothing to with multi-player games", she contends, noting that "we need to go beyond HCI and cognitive psychology to [look at the] social architecture and the structure of the interaction between people". She argues that medium of games _is_ behaviour, and that games design is a master discipline embodying pure interaction design. We are sure there will be a lot to discuss!

      JC Herz's biography can be found at:
      http://www.experiencedesign.aiga.org/edlondon

      RELATED EVENT
      - - - -
      In case you can't attend you will get another chance to hear JC Herz at an event (not organised by us) this Saturday. This event is less design-focused but promises to be very stimulating. A discount ticket for 'Game On' and the event is available (details below).

      | The End of Play |
      | |
      | To mark the end of the exhibition this event will explore the |
      | future of computer games and their continuing role in society, |
      | examining how new technologies will affect the way in which |
      | we play games. |
      | |
      | When: |
      | Saturday 7 September, 1PM-2:15PM |
      | Where: |
      | The Barbican Arts Centre, Cinema 1, Level -2 |
      | Cost: |
      | £3 adult/£2 concession |
      | (joint ticket with exhibition £13/£9 concession) |
      | More info: |
      | http://www.gameonweb.co.uk/events_1.htm |