Event (provisional): Games design - This Friday

  • AIGA Experience Design London/Nico Macdo
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2002
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'lonadv4design' list please join (details at the end).

      You are _provisionally_ invited to the twenty-fifth AIGA Experience Design London meeting.

      Friday 6 September, 5pm (visit Game On), 6PM (talk)
      The Barbican Arts Centre, London EC2
      (details will be confirmed to the list when the event is confirmed)

      -> If you are interested in attending please keep Friday evening
      free. To confirm that it is practical to hold this event please
      complete the short poll at:

      - - - -
      For some time we have been planning an event to tie into the 'Game On' exhibition at the Barbican (which finishes on 15 September) looking at what experience design can learn from games design. Some time back we approached savvy New York-based commentator JC Herz (see biography below) to present, knowing she would be in London around this time. Her trip, which is for a commercial presentation, has only just been confirmed and she is only here till Sunday. We are still sorting out space at the Barbican Arts Centre for a presentation. We plan to start early so you can see the exhibition and get away for your Friday-nightly activities (even if that just means watching Friends).

      - - - -
      We will combine a visit to the Game On exhibition at the Barbican Arts Centre with a talk afterwards by JC. (Tickets for Game On will be available at a very reduced price of £5.)

      JC will argue that games design lays the foundations for the design principles of the twenty-first century, and that other areas of design have and do ignore them at their peril. "Visual representation has nothing to with multi-player games", she contends, noting that "we need to go beyond HCI and cognitive psychology to [look at the] social architecture and the structure of the interaction between people". She argues that medium of games _is_ behaviour, and that games design is a master discipline embodying pure interaction design.

      - JC Herz is principal of Joystick Nation Inc., a research and
      design practice that applies the principles of complex systems
      to the design of products, services, and brands. Drawing from an
      understanding of ecology, online social dynamics, computer
      games, and information theory, Joystick Nation's focus is
      human-human interaction design, and systems that leverage the
      intrinsic characteristics of networked communication. Clients
      include multinational corporations, high-tech start-ups and
      military research organisations.

      She has conducted workshops on game design and learning, and has
      spoken at technology and design conferences including Technology
      Entertainment Design (TED) in Monterey, SIGGRAPH, E3, Doors of
      Perception, and the Forum on the Future of Higher Education at
      the Aspen Institute. JC sits on the National Research Council's
      Committee on Creativity and Information Technology, and the
      Defense Advanced Research Project Agency's study group on
      patterns of emergent behavior in massively multiplayer
      persistent worlds. She has lectured at Carnegie Mellon
      University, NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab, the University of
      California's Institute for Creative Technologies, the Annenberg
      Center for Communications, and Yale. She is currently a
      professor at NYU's Interactive Telecommunications Program,
      a masters program in technology/design.

      JC is the author of two books, 'Surfing on the Internet' (Little
      Brown, 1994), an ethnography of cyberspace before the Web, and
      'Joystick Nation: How Videogames Ate Our Quarters, Won Our
      Hearts, and Rewired Our Minds' (Little, Brown 1997), a history
      of videogames which traces the cultural and technological
      evolution of the first medium that was born digital, and how it
      shaped the minds of a generation weaned on Atari. JC published
      100 essays on the grammar and syntax of game design in New York
      Times between 1998-2000 (archived online at:
      free of charge, but registration required). She received a
      Bachelor's degree in Biology and Environmental Studies from
      Harvard University.

      - - - -
      If our Friday event goes ahead but you can't attend you will get another chance to hear JC Herz at an event (not organised by us) on Saturday. This event is less design-focused but promises to be very stimulating.

      | The End of Play |
      | |
      | To mark the end of the exhibition this event will explore the |
      | future of computer games and their continuing role in society, |
      | examining how new technologies will affect the way in which |
      | we play games. |
      | |
      | When: |
      | Saturday 7 September, 1PM-2:15PM |
      | Where: |
      | The Barbican Arts Centre, Cinema 1, Level -2 |
      | Cost: |
      | £3 adult/£2 concession |
      | (joint ticket with exhibition £13/£9 concession) |
      | More info: |
      | http://www.gameonweb.co.uk/events_1.htm |

      - - - -
      If you are not already on it please sign up to our announcement list at: