Event: Technology futures - Wednesday 24 July

  • AIGA Experience Design London/Nico Macdo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2002
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'lonadv4design' list please join (details at the end).

      You are invited to the twenty-fourth AIGA Experience Design London meeting.

      Wednesday 24 July, 6:30 for 7PM (until about 8:30PM)
      The Design Council, 34 Bow Street, London WC2E 7DL
      (opposite the Royal Opera House)
      There is no payment to attend. Please email all enquiries to
      this address, not the Design Council.

      - - - -
      This month we will look at the future of digital and network technologies, and consider the approach designers should take to them. (And we would like _you_ to take part in presenting the technology that most excites you.) We will also have a report back from the recent Fifth Advance for Design Summit.

      - - - -
      Discussion: 'Technology futures'
      -- Understanding changes in technology has always been important in architecture and product design. Print designers have had to become familiar with changes in the technology of production over the last 20 years, while experience design has grown up around the possibilities presented by digital and network technologies. As we move beyond the desktop Web browser, we will look at the new technologies and developments in software that will have an impact on experience design, and that will facilitate the creation of better products and services. We will also discuss how designers might get involved in shaping new developments in technology development, and take a lead in conceiving applications for them.
      - Matt Jones of BBC New Media will report back on the O'Reilly Emerging
      Technologies conference, which took place this May in Santa Clara, CA:
      - You... We would like to invite you to talk about a technology that you
      think designers will need to know about, or has the potential to make
      a significant impact. Examples might include XML and SOAP, e-paper,
      hi-res and large displays, 3G and mesh networks, RFID tags, CURL and .NET,
      ultra-broadband, Web services, robotics, AI, smaller and embedded chips,
      better batteries, and the semantic Web. Please mail us if there is a
      technology you would like to speak about at the event:

      Report back: Fifth Advance for Design Summit
      -- The AIGA Experience Design Summit convened in the uber-experiential Las Vegas just last week for two days of presentations, discussion and debate, focusing on the relationship of design and business, and new working models for the industry. Attendees and presenters included Gillian Crampton Smith, Shelley Evenson, Jesse James Garrett, Erin Malone, Davis Masten, Peter Merholz, Rick Robinson, Louis Rosenfeld, Nathan Shedroff, and James Woudhuysen. Nico Macdonald will report back from the city where good slot-machine UI design delivers a clear return on investment.

      - - - -
      You and any of your friends and colleagues who are interested in building an interdisciplinary community of professionals who design for a world in which experiences are increasingly digital and connected. You do _not_ need to be an AIGA member to attend this gathering. (More on the mission and activities of the AIGA Experience Design group at http://experience.aiga.org/)

      - - - -
      There will be no event during August and we will re-convene in early September with an event focused on games design, with a planned visit to the Barbican's 'Game On' exhibition.

      - - - -
      If you are not already on it please sign up to our announcement list at: