Event: Usability vs Innovation - Tuesday 11 June

  • AIGA Experience Design London/Nico Macdo
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2002
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'lonadv4design' list please join (details at the end).

      You are invited to the twenty-fourth AIGA Experience Design London meeting.

      When:
      Tuesday 11 June, 6:30 for 7PM (until about 8:30PM)
      Where:
      The Design Council, 34 Bow Street, London WC2E 7DL
      http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/design/content/how_to_find_us.jsp
      (opposite the Royal Opera House)
      RSVP:
      mailto:RSVP@...?Subject=lonadv4design%20Jun%202002
      There is no payment to attend. Please email all enquiries to
      this address, not the Design Council.

      INTRODUCTION
      - - - -
      At this month's event we focus on a discussion that has been brewing since the Design For Usability conference in the spring of 2000: how does usability relate to creativity and innovation?

      Plus, the first 50 attendees will receive a copy of the first issue of the new US-based eDesign magazine (http://www.edesignmag.com/) and the June 'Usability Issue' of our home-grown Create Online (http://www.createonline.co.uk/).

      Also, we have changed our refreshments policy and will ask you to pay a pound for refreshments. Finally, apologies for the spam that slipped through onto the list last month. We have taken steps to reduce the chance of this happening again.

      THE EVENT
      - - - -
      Debate: 'Usability vs Innovation'

      Martyn Perks
      -- "Everywhere, the customer drives the design process. But can a customer-centric attitude to design foster creative and innovative solutions? Post-dotcom crash, can designers and businesses raise expectations among end users when both are nervous about taking risks and investing in new ideas? Are we putting the cart before the horse: does making things usable mean they will be useful?"
      - Martyn Perks is design director for spiked (http://www.spiked-online.com),
      and a freelance design consultant, information architect and writer on
      new media.

      Steve Krug
      -- "My experience has been that usability and creativity and innovation aren't at odds with each other. At least not *real* usability and *real* creativity."
      - For years (starting in 1987), usability expert Steve Krug laboured
      in pleasant obscurity, helping clients like AOL, Apple, Netscape,
      and [the artist formerly known as] Excite@Home to develop products and
      Web sites that people could actually use and enjoy. But since the
      publication of his book, 'Don't Make Me Think! A Common Sense Approach
      to Web Usability' (New Riders, 2000), he's had to settle for relative
      obscurity. Nowadays he spends most of his time teaching usability
      workshops, lecturing, and doing expert usability reviews of Web sites
      and sites-in-progress. His consulting firm, Advanced Common Sense
      ("just me and a few well-placed mirrors"), is based in Chestnut Hill,
      Massachusetts, and online at http://www.sensible.com/

      WHO SHOULD COME
      - - - -
      You and any of your friends and colleagues who are interested in building an interdisciplinary community of professionals who design for a world in which experiences are increasingly digital and connected. You do _not_ need to be an AIGA member to attend this gathering. (More on the mission and activities of the AIGA Experience Design group at http://experience.aiga.org/)

      NEXT EVENT
      - - - -
      Our next event is planned for Tuesday 6 July 2002.

      JOIN THE LIST
      - - - -
      If you are not already on it please sign up to our announcement list at: