Event: Interfaces and culture, VH1, and 'What is Web Design?' - Thursday 7 March

  • AIGA Experience Design London/Nico Macdo
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2002
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'lonadv4design' list please join (details at the end).

      You are invited to the twenty-first AIGA Experience Design London meeting.

      When:
      Thursday 7 March, 6:30 for 7PM (until about 8:30PM)
      Where:
      The Design Council, 34 Bow Street, London WC2E 7DL
      http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/design/content/how_to_find_us.jsp
      (opposite the Royal Opera House)
      RSVP:
      mailto:RSVP@...?Subject=lonadv4design%20Mar02
      There is no payment to attend. Please email all enquiries to
      this address, not the Design Council.

      INTRODUCTION
      - - - -
      At this month's event we look at the way children (and people from other cultures) learn to use interactive products, get the inside story on VH1.co.uk, one of the most innovative recent Web interfaces, and discuss how we bring together our learning to pass on to new generations of designers.

      THE EVENT
      - - - -
      Presentation: 'Holes in Walls'
      -- This short film documents a project by Dr Sugata Mitra, head of the R&D lab at Indian National Institute of Technology. It examines the challenge of designing enabling technologies that can bring information to a country with a population of over a billion. Accessibility and usability are increasingly vital in addressing the country's demographic, language and literacy issues. Mitra's project, focused on providing free Internet access for children, started with a simple question: can children, regardless of their background, learn without assistance? We will also discuss how we can develop interfaces for people in other cultures who may not share the mental models and metaphors with which we are familiar in the West.
      - Ellie Runcie is a development manager in the Business Team at the
      Design Council. She has been responsible for pioneering and managing
      the Design Council's work in e-strategy and is currently co-developing
      its work in demonstrating how design enables emerging technology
      companies to find the appropriate routes to market. Ellie joined the Design
      Council in 1997, initially coordinating projects for the design
      industry and small business sector, and moving on to manage the annual
      Design in Business Week events.

      Presentation: Re-defining dynamic, content-driven Web sites for VH1
      -- Dimension Data (formerly Proxicom in the UK) took on the redesign of the UK TV and online brand for VH1, Viacom's music network for 25- to 44-year-olds, with the objective of bringing the customer closer to the VH1 channel using online interaction. With pitch work completed in a week and the site finished over the following six weeks the creative team developed an interface based on "pastiche iconic objects" and attempted to redefine the form of dynamic, content-driven Web sites. VH1.co.uk employs an 'OS-type' interface in which content comes to users, rather than users navigating 'pages', and they are able to view multiple pieces of content from different sections of the site at the same time. An additional challenge was to develop the brand identity for the VH1 channel with Tomato in a way that didn't compromise either identity.
      http://www.VH1.co.uk/
      - Bill Galloway is Creative Director at Dimension Data, currently leading
      its creative team in the UK, and was previously design director at WCJ
      (part of the Y&R group). Bill has over 19 years of experience working
      with blue-chip clients in advertising, direct marketing and the Web,
      in industries including automotive, financial services,
      telecommunications, pharmaceutical, travel, sports, retail and
      entertainment. Current clients include Cahoot, Royal & Sun Alliance,
      Manchester United, Astra Zeneca, Black and Decker, DRKW, and Paddy Power.
      - Antony Webster joined Dimension Data in 1999 from AMXdigital. Over the
      last five years he has been involved with new media projects spanning
      the corporate sector (including Manchester United, Cahoot and Intel),
      and the music and entertainment sectors (Oasis, Pulp and Pepsi).
      Antony is also involved in the industry as a guest speaker, award judge
      (D&AD students awards) and author.

      Discussion: 'What is Web Design?'
      -- As event programmer and chair Nico Macdonald will be (ab)using his role to kick off a discussion about how we formalise knowledge of the disciplines encompassed by experience design, in the context of product development. He will be discussing his current book project 'What is Web Design?' (RotoVision) which will be an introduction for students and for designers from other disciplines, and a primer and reference source for people interested in particular aspects of Web and interaction design.
      - Nico Macdonald is a journalist, researcher and consultant focusing on
      design and technology in business. He programs the AIGA Experience Design
      London forum and is on the organising committee for Designing Interactive
      Systems 2002 and CHI 2003. He is on the British HCI Group executive and
      is co-founder of the thinktank Design Agenda.

      WHO SHOULD COME
      - - - -
      You and any of your friends and colleagues who are interested in building an interdisciplinary community of professionals who design for a world in which experiences are increasingly digital and connected. You do _not_ need to be an AIGA member to attend this gathering. (More on the mission and activities of the AIGA Experience Design group at http://experience.aiga.org/)

      NEXT EVENT
      - - - -
      Our next event will be on Thursday 4 April 2002.

      JOIN THE LIST
      - - - -
      If you are not already on it please sign up to our announcement list at: