Event: The increasing importance of design - Thursday 6 September

  • AIGA Experience Design London/Nico Macdo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28 5:44 AM
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'lonadv4design' list please join (details at the end).

      You are invited to the sixteenth AIGA Experience Design London meeting.

      When:
      Thursday 6 September, 6:30 for 7PM (until about 8:30PM)
      Where:
      The Design Council, 34 Bow Street, London WC2E 7DL
      http://www.design-council.org.uk/about/contactdetails.html
      (opposite the Royal Opera House)
      RSVP:
      mailto:RSVP@...?Subject=lonadv4design%20Sep01
      There is no payment to attend. Please email all enquiries to
      this address, not the Design Council.

      INTRODUCTION
      - - - -
      Despite the talking down of the new economy and the schadenfreude at the crash of the dotcoms, IT companies and Web agencies that has been manifest in the media, the fundamental value of design in making the network a valuable tool in business and society has not be altered. In fact design is arguable more valuable as a tool for mediating between new technological possibilities, business models and the people who will use the new products and services they facilitate. However, we can't be complacent and do need to reconsider the role of design, how we justify its value to our clients, and how we place it in the bigger picture of the progress that, properly managed, IT can facilitate.

      THE EVENT
      - - - -
      Discussion: The increasing importance of design
      -- We have brought together a group of people who will share some positive lessons from their experiences over the last few years and help us focus constructively on the future. Panelists will present for 5-7 minutes. We will then have a facilitated discussion and open up the debate to yourselves. The panelists:
      - Phil Barrett is a director of London-based usability consultancy Flow
      Interactive. He regularly performs usability engineering work and
      advises clients on how to incorporate user-centred design into their
      development processes.
      - Lazar Dzamic joined ehsrealtime as Digital Strategist in June of this
      year and has worked on online strategy and eCRM projects for clients such
      as Tesco, New Mini, McDonalds France, Canon, British Gas, AA.com,
      BT Cellnet, Buzz, and BT Openworld. Dzamic spent nine years in broadcast
      media as a journalist, editor and managing director before switching to
      advertising and PR consulting, and founding his own consultancy in Belgrade,
      Yugoslavia. He has written four books on advertising and is the author
      of 'No-Copy Advertising', to be published by RotoVision in September.
      - Pierre Odendaal is Art Director (Lead Team Designer) at Ogilvy Interactive
      in London which has an intuitive, brand-based approach to new media
      solutions for the advertising world. He was at Head New Media for three
      years, having worked in motion graphics at South Africa-based Delapse.
      He graduated in graphic design from Pretoria Technikon in 1995.
      - Ian Worley was trained as an architect but has spent the last seven
      years working in the new media industry as a Web designer, information
      architect and Internet consultant. His current incarnation is as the
      Chief eXperience Officer for the Inspired Technology Group, where he
      is responsible for shaping the development of mobile information
      and communication applications from a customer experience perspective.

      WHO SHOULD COME
      - - - -
      You and any of your friends and colleagues who are interested in or challenged to design for a world that is increasingly digital and connected. You do _not_ need to be an AIGA member to come to this gathering.

      NEXT EVENT
      - - - -
      Our next event is on Thursday 4 October. We have a number of ideas we are keen to pursue. We welcome suggestions for subjects _you_ would like to see discussed as well. Our November event falls in the Design Council's Design in Business Week which runs from 26 October-2 November (http://www.design-council.org.uk/). While this means it may not take place at the Design Council our event will pick up the theme of the week.

      THE GOAL OF THE AIGA EXPERIENCE DESIGN FORUM
      - - - -
      Design, as it evolves, has yet to be defined in ways which are broadly accepted, yet its substance is understood by its practitioners: user behavior and experience; look and feel; functionality and engineering; experience with the effectiveness of time and motion; and the impact of these experiences on structure, language and navigation. Continued at...
      http://advance.aiga.org/mission/index.html

      JOIN THE LIST
      - - - -
      If you are not already on it please sign up to our announcement list at:

      Nico Macdonald
      Design Agenda and AIGA Experience Design London