Event: Designing Web applications -- Thursday 7 December

  • Advance for Design London/Nico Macdonald
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2000
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'lonadv4design' list please join (details at the end).

      You are invited to the ninth Advance for Design London meeting.

      Thursday 7 December, 6:30 for 7PM (until about 8:45PM)
      The Design Council, 34 Bow Street, London WC2E 7DL
      (opposite the Royal Opera House)

      We will have a presentation on the design of Web applications, from Peninah Goldman of Texas-based Trilogy. For all those without corporate conference budgets (and the rest of you who have been working too hard) we will get the inside track on two of the best experience design conferences of the year -- Doors and ACD Living Surfaces -- and Daniel Brown will give us a sneak preview of his new interactive art piece.

      Presentation: Designing Web applications
      -- Web applications present some of the greatest and most fascinating challenges for interaction designers. How do you create real but Web-based applications that match the demands of business-to-business e-commerce and other key business processes. How do you design (and usability test) for a global workforce who use these applications, rather than Office, for most of their work. How do you create effective design solutions in a tight iterative product development cycle. And how can the business value of this design input be assessed.
      - Peninah Goldman graduated from Carnegie Mellon University with a Bachelor
      of Fine Arts majoring in Communication Design. On graduating she joined
      Austin, TX-based Trilogy, a software company focusing on e-commerce
      solutions for Fortune 500 companies. In the HCI group she worked on
      interaction design, visual design and usability for clients including,
      IBM, Ford, Jaguar, HP, Sun, Gartner Group, Nokia and BA. She is now working
      for Trilogy in the UK.

      Discussion: 'Lightness', 'Living Surfaces' and the 'User Experience World Tour'
      -- Back from the front line of live design discussion Timo Arnall of And|or|if and Toni Greaves of Agency.com will get us up-to-speed on the recent American Center for Design Living Surfaces event in Chicago, and Jack Schulze of And|or|if will update us on the Doors of Perception 'experience' in Amsterdam. We will also review the Nielsen Norman Group show that landed in London in the last week.
      - The Landscape of Experience, Eighth Annual Living Surfaces Conference
      - Doors of Perception 6: Lightness
      - User Experience World Tour

      Show and Tell: Daniel Brown
      -- Daniel Brown will be demo-ing a preview of his new interactive work 'BITs and PIeces', which is intended to be a light-hearted artistic piece about light and texture, rather than a technology- or design-based exercise. Brown writes: "When creating it I set myself the agenda to create a timeless piece that required as little justification as a piece of music. When listening to one's favourite music, one does not analyse the technology that was used to make it, or demand a theoretical concept to put weight behind it: rather it simply exists to entertain and be consumed."

      - - - -
      You and any of your friends and colleagues who are interested in or challenged to design for a world that is increasingly digital and connected. You do _not_ need to be an AIGA member to come to this gathering.

      - - - -
      Our next event is on the _second_ Thursday of the New Year, January 11. Still in the mix are presentations about interface design for mobile connected devices (mobiles phones and beyond) and a discussion on what experience design can learn from film-making. We may also look at what Web design can learn from graphical user interface design, and the broader implications of the merging of applications and the Web. Suggestions and ideas are of course welcome.

      - - - -
      From Monday 4 December write-ups of all previous events will be at:

      - - - -
      Design, as it evolves, has yet to be defined in ways which are broadly accepted, yet its substance is understood by its practitioners: user behavior and experience; look and feel; functionality and engineering; experience with the effectiveness of time and motion; and the impact of these experiences on structure, language and navigation. Continued at...

      - - - -
      If you are not already on it please sign up to our announcement list at:

      Nico Macdonald
      Design Agenda and Advance for Design London