Event: Designing Systems and Iterative Design -- Thursday 9 November (not this Thursday)

  • Advance for Design London/Nico Macdonald
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31 9:10 AM
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'lonadv4design' list please join (details at the end).

      You are invited to the eighth Advance for Design London meeting. This month we are getting together on the _second Thursday_.

      Thursday 9 (not 2) November, 6:30 for 7PM (until about 8:45PM)
      The Design Council, 34 Bow Street, London WC2E 7DL
      (opposite the Royal Opera House, lift now working!)

      We will have a presentation on designing systems, with Thomas Brune and Darryl Feldman reflecting on Organic London's recent work for BT.com. Next up Matt Jones of Sapient and Eve Andersson will be discussing iterative design, and what design can learn from open source and other modern developments in programming and engineering.

      Presentation: Designing Systems
      -- There is a paradigm shift away from Web site page design towards designing systems, but often the whole isn't greater than the sum of the parts. Design solutions need to be more modular and responsive, allowing users to shape the system more to their needs. Legacy interfaces have to be addressed, and systems created that allow a design to be managed and to evolve at the hands of numerous untrained designer-users. Many of these concepts and problems have parallels in engineering (with object-oriented programming) and software (such as Broadvision), as well as further afield with products such as Tupperware and Lego, the London Underground map, and architectural systems. Thomas Brune, Senior Project Engineer, and Darryl Feldman, Group Creative Director, will talk about Organic London's recent work on BT's SME portal and Business Store (see the press release at:
      http://www.organic.com/organic/press/releases/story.html?324 )
      - Thomas Brune has been working in the software industry for over
      seven years. He is currently a senior project engineer at Organic,
      responsible for the technical oversight of the BT.com account,
      and oversees all engineering aspects of projects. He has experience
      in interface design, object modeling, data modeling and system
      architecture. Prior to joining Organic he worked with clients such
      as the Gap Inc., Providian Financial, Xerox and Varian Oncology
      in both a management and development role.
      - Darryl Feldman has been working in the interactive media industry
      for over nine years and has worked on a wide variety of new media
      projects from developing interactive educational systems through
      to e-commerce applications, creating online brand strategies and
      marketing campaigns. Darryl trained in graphic design at Chelsea
      School of Art and then attended postgraduate studies at Central
      Saint Martins college of art and design. He also has produced fine
      art and illustration work prior to involvement with new media.

      Discussion: Iterative Design
      -- Are project methodologies used by Web integrators the legacy of traditional design, consultancy and technology project management, with its imposed finality of repro and printing, CD-ROM burning and shrink-wrapping, and mainframe installation? Are they really suited to the evolutionary demands of Internet businesses or the network itself? What could designers learn from modern programming and engineering practices, and from the burgeoning open source movement? We'll have Eve Andersson, one of the founders of open source pioneers ArsDigita <http://www.arsdigita.com>(http://www.arsdigita.com/), and Matt Jones of Sapient, to tell us more about open source development. Matt Jones writes: "We'll look at the advantages and disadvantages of alternate design development methodologies to spark a debate about how we may all be able to do things better, easier, faster -- and get to the pub quicker."

      - - - -
      You and any of your friends and colleagues who are interested in or challenged to design for a world that is increasingly digital and connected. You do _not_ need to be an AIGA member to come to this gathering.

      - - - -
      Our next event is December 7. The programme is not yet finalised but we are considering a discussion about interface design for mobile connected devices (mobiles phones and beyond), a discussion on what experience design can learn from film-making, evaluating design effectiveness, and a presentation from Peninah Goldman of Austin, TX-based e-business software developer Trilogy on her work in its HCI group. Suggestions and ideas are of course welcome.

      - - - -
      In future we will be publishing write-ups of events on the Advance for Design site (partly to keep our announcement emails shorter). When the write-ups are available we will announce this to the list. The AIGA is currently opening up the Advance Web site to facilitate this.

      - - - -
      Design, as it evolves, has yet to be defined in ways which are broadly accepted, yet its substance is understood by its practitioners: user behavior and experience; look and feel; functionality and engineering; experience with the effectiveness of time and motion; and the impact of these experiences on structure, language and navigation. Continued at...

      - - - -
      If you are not already on it please sign up to our announcement list at:

      Nico Macdonald
      Design Agenda and Advance for Design London