[lonadv4design] Advance for Design London: Meeting, Thursday 2 March

  • Advance for Design London/Nico Macdonald
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2000
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'lonadv4design' list please join (details at the end).

      You are invited to the first Advance for Design London meeting.

      When:
      Thursday 2 March, 6:30 for 7PM (until about 9PM)
      Where:
      The Design Council, Bow Street, London WC2
      RSVP:
      mailto:RSVP@...?Subject=lonadv4design%20Mar00

      INTRODUCTION...
      - - - -
      There are some of you out there whose job today is different from what it was a few years ago -- or even just last year. Have you become a strategist, design planner, product designer, information architect, interaction designer, interface designer, social scientist, user experience expert, usability expert, imagineer, storyteller... something or anything like this?

      A BIT OF BACKGROUND...
      - - - -
      The Advance for Design forum was launched in November 1999 as a sub-group of the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA). The objective of Advance for Design is to establish a new community of design practitioners who are challenged to design for a world that is increasingly digital and connected.

      THE EVENT
      - - - -
      The purpose of this event is to get people in our new profession together to discuss, debate and learn. The format is very informal. (We will be holding monthly events on the first Thursday of each month, except for April when the 'Design for Usability' conference will be our focus.)

      Show and Tell (see below for a definition)
      -- Dave Pollard of iXL.

      Web Critique
      -- Robin Grant, recently ex-Organic, contrasting the approach and implementation of three sites he considers to be excellent design solutions. They address a common set of problems but realise a solution in very different ways.
      - http://www.letsbuyit.com
      - http://www.eyestorm.com
      - http://www.moonfruit.com

      Discussion: 'What do we call it?'
      -- Lucy Kimbell of The NC Company introducing some thoughts on defining our profession.

      There will plenty of time to hang out, swap stories and get up-to-date with recent developments after the presentations.

      Artifact Show and Tell
      - - - -
      'Words _and_ pictures'. Design cannot be described only in words, and publication of our research and work must include both. To continue to describe design by 'what we do and how we do it'. This artifact should be a tool you've used in the design process -- a paper sketch, a diagram, a demo, a PowerPoint presentation, a framework -- anything! Seven minutes for you and three minutes for questions.

      WHO SHOULD COME
      - - - -
      You and any of your friends and colleagues who feels like they belong in this community. You do _not_ need to be an AIGA member to come to this gathering.

      THE GOAL OF THE ADVANCE FOR DESIGN FORUM
      - - - -
      Design, as it evolves, has yet to be defined in ways which are broadly accepted, yet its substance is understood by its practitioners: user behavior and experience; look and feel; functionality and engineering; experience with the effectiveness of time and motion; and the impact of these experiences on structure, language and navigation.

      The objective is to establish a new community of design practitioners...
      who are challenged to design for a world that is increasingly digital and connected. A variety of disciplines has forged the knowledge base of new design practice. There is now a need to define the role, reach and requirements of designers, so that these evolving disciplines can continue to make effective contributions. Members of this community can be found in a wide range of businesses, organisations and educational institutions, but it hasn't yet come together in one place, until now. If we define community as simply 'a group of people with like-minded interests, values and pursuits', then this group represents the core of the community we're hoping to establish, put down roots and grow.

      There is a community identifying itself around the mission to shape the future of the 'experience design' profession. You have the opportunity to shape and define its future.

      More at...
      http://advance.aiga.org/

      JOIN THE LIST
      - - - -
      If you are not already on it please sign up to our two-way and
      announcement list at:
      http://www.egroups.com/list/lonadv4design/
      (We will be making this eGroups list ad free shortly.)

      Nico Macdonald
      Design Agenda and Advance for Design London