Event: Design Knowledge and Communication -- Thursday 5 October

  • Advance for Design London/Nico Macdonald
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2000
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'lonadv4design' list please join (details at the end).

      You are invited to the seventh Advance for Design London meeting.

      When:
      Thursday 5 October, 6:30 for 7PM (until about 8:45PM)
      Where:
      The Design Council, 34 Bow Street, London WC2E 7DL
      http://www.design-council.org.uk/about/contactdetails.html
      (opposite the Royal Opera House)
      RSVP:
      mailto:RSVP@...?Subject=lonadv4design%20Oct00

      At October's Advance event we will be looking at how we develop knowledge in Experience Design, and how we communicate that knowledge to colleagues, clients and beyond.

      Discussion: Design Knowledge Development
      -- How do we keep up with and contextualise developments related to Experience Design (new ideas and theories, methodologies and practice, successful projects, developments in business and society, news and statistics) which appear in a myriad of forms (magazines and journals, books and theses, Web sites, mailing lists and discussions, conferences and papers, lectures and... forums such as Advance). And how do we pass on our own experiences, insights and knowledge when many of us barely have time to reply to our email? Nico Macdonald will introduce a discussion on how we learn and communicate now and how we might in the future.
      - Nico Macdonald covers design and publishing strategy at Ascendant Partners
      and is a co-founder of the thinktank Design Agenda.

      Discussion: Communicating Experience Design
      -- Robin Grant will kick off a brainstorm on a subject close to his heart: How can we as a group of individuals spread the Experience Design message to the wider Web design community in the UK, which as a whole still seems mired in the pretty pictures view of design (as represented by any issue of 'the Web designers bible', Cre@te Online).
      - Robin Grant is currently entrepreneur in residence at Brainspark. In

      WHO SHOULD COME
      - - - -
      You and any of your friends and colleagues who are interested in or challenged to design for a world that is increasingly digital and connected. You do _not_ need to be an AIGA member to attend this event.

      NEXT EVENT
      - - - -
      For November 9 we are planning a presentation on 'designing systems', with Darryl Feldman and Tom Brune reflecting on Organic London's work on BT's SME portal (http://www.BT.com/sme) and Business Store (http://www.BT.com/businessstore). We also hope to have Matt Jones of Sapient and Eve Andersson, one of the founders of open source pioneers ArsDigita, introducing a discussion on iterative design and whether design processes focused on 'completion' are simply a legacy of print and and product design. The 'Old design meets New media' event is still in development.

      WHAT HAPPENED AT THE LAST EVENT
      - - - -
      In future we will be publishing write-ups of events on the Advance for Design site (partly to keep our announcement emails shorter). When the write-ups are available we will announce this to the list.

      THE GOAL OF THE ADVANCE FOR DESIGN FORUM
      - - - -
      Design, as it evolves, has yet to be defined in ways which are broadly accepted, yet its substance is understood by its practitioners: user behavior and experience; look and feel; functionality and engineering; experience with the effectiveness of time and motion; and the impact of these experiences on structure, language and navigation. Continued at...
      http://advance.aiga.org/mission/index.html

      JOIN THE LIST
      - - - -
      If you are not already on it please sign up to our announcement list at:
      http://www.egroups.com/list/lonadv4design/

      Nico Macdonald
      Design Agenda and Advance for Design London