Event: Design meets Engineering and Human Factors -- Thursday 7 September

  • Advance for Design London/Nico Macdonald
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2000
      Please feel free to circulate this to colleagues and friends. If you are not already on the 'lonadv4design' list please join (details at the end).

      You are invited to the sixth Advance for Design London meeting.

      When:
      Thursday 7 September, 6:30 for 7PM (until about 9PM)
      Where:
      The Design Council, 34 Bow Street, London WC2E 7DL
      http://www.design-council.org.uk/about/contactdetails.html
      (opposite the Royal Opera House)
      RSVP:
      mailto:RSVP@...?Subject=lonadv4design%20Sep00

      At September's Advance event we will be investigating the design process in relationship to engineering and human factors. The first discussion was prompted by the recent trend in companies to re-organise the roles of design and engineering in the development process. The second was inspired by the recent 'Designing Interactive Systems 2000' conference in New York City, which focused on bridging the gap between design and human factors. We will also have a short report-back on the recent Advance for Design summit in Colorado.

      Discussion: Design and Engineering.
      -- What should designers should understand about engineering? How and where are the two disciplines collaborating effectively? What aspects of design exist in engineering and what does engineering have in common with design? What input can engineering have into design and how are they integrating already?
      Kicking off the discussion will be:
      - Alan Ogilvie, Senior Content Engineer, and Brian Jensen,
      Associate Creative Director, Organic, London
      - Michael Karliner, Viant
      - Rob Clowes, Senior Programmer, ePolitix and lecturer in the
      Cognitive Science department at the University of Sussex
      We would be interested to hear everyone's stories, lessons and insights, which hopefully will help us understand how we might improve the development process.

      Report back and Discussion: Design and Human Factors
      -- 'Designing Interactive Systems' was a three day event organised by the ACM Special Interest Group on Computer-Human Interaction (SIGCHI) that took place August 17-19 in New York City. The DIS conferences are an attempt to bridge the gap between the worlds of human factors and design. Almost 300 people attended and presentations ranged from keynote addresses to panel discussions and peer-reviewed papers.
      We will have first-hand, eye-witness reports and reflections from:
      - Ramia Maze, a recent graduate from the RCA's Computer-Related Design
      course (http://www.crd.rca.ac.uk/~ramia/)
      - Andrew Yeoh of Mahony Associates, the London-based interactive
      communication designers http://www.mahonyassociates.com/
      Background on the conference itself can be found at:
      http://www.acm.org/sigs/sigchi/dis2000/menu.html

      Report back: Advance for Design 'The Telluride Meeting'
      - Nico Macdonald, Design Agenda
      An overview of the event can be found at:
      http://advance.aiga.org/timeline/telluride.html

      WHO SHOULD COME
      - - - -
      You and any of your friends and colleagues who are interested in or challenged to design for a world that is increasingly digital and connected. You do _not_ need to be an AIGA member to come to this gathering.

      NEXT EVENT
      - - - -
      For October 5 we are planning a larger event provisionally entitled 'Old design meets New media'. The concept for this event has evolved slightly to address both the experience of people moving from established careers in other design professions and the lessons experience design can learn from those professions. We would welcome further suggestions for speakers. We are hoping to run this event in conjunction with the Design Business Association and the Magazine Art Directors group.

      WHAT HAPPENED AT THE LAST EVENT
      - - - -
      In future we will be publishing write-ups of events on the Advance for Design site (partly to keep our announcement emails shorter). When the write-ups are available we will announce this to the list.

      THE GOAL OF THE ADVANCE FOR DESIGN FORUM
      - - - -
      Design, as it evolves, has yet to be defined in ways which are broadly accepted, yet its substance is understood by its practitioners: user behavior and experience; look and feel; functionality and engineering; experience with the effectiveness of time and motion; and the impact of these experiences on structure, language and navigation. Continued at...
      http://advance.aiga.org/mission/index.html

      JOIN THE LIST
      - - - -
      If you are not already on it please sign up to our announcement list at:
      http://www.egroups.com/list/lonadv4design/

      Nico Macdonald
      Design Agenda and Advance for Design London