INVITATION: Advance for Design 3

  • Advance for Design London/Nico Macdonald
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2000
      Dear Advance for Design Londoners

      This is the invite to the event in Telluride, Colorado I mentioned yesterday. For anyone interested in attending (and having been at the last one I can highly recommend it) it is pressing that they make hotel/flight arrangements _immediately_ after sending in their registration info (to Molly Beverstein at the AIGA, details below). The block booking on rooms is only good until June 8.

      it would be great if there were some more people from the UK (or the rest of Europe) at the event.

      If anyone has any questions please feel free to email me.

      Nico Macdonald

      The third Advance for Design summit is going to be held August 11-13, 2000 in Telluride, Colorado.

      This is an exclusive invitation for previous Advance for Design attendees and those few whose participation has been requested by previous attendees. The invitation will be extended until we fill 80 spaces, so be sure to secure your spot by registering now!

      The core group of attendees from the previous summits who are being invited are listed at the end of this message.

      CONCEPT

      This Advance for Design is intended to advance the objectives the group, first articulated at the Nantucket summit and then developed further in Santa Fe:

      * To define the character of experience design
      * To define a vocabulary for this emerging discipline
      * To develop the professional requirements to practice experience design
      * To establish expectations for education students in interaction design
      * To communicate to the business community the nature of experience
      design in system integration projects
      * To plan programming activities that will stimulate thinking about
      experience design

      The means of accomplishing this at the third Advance for Design is through provocation and resolution. We will have general sessions to provoke thinking through presentations of models, we will have presentation of artifacts to provide real projects that struggle with the issues of experience design, then we will have general sessions when we seek to capture observations that will advance our shared understanding of the nature of experience design. This understanding defines experience design as interdisciplinary consistency across platforms, networks and devices.

      ARTIFACT SHOW `N TELL SESSIONS

      Design cannot be described only in words, and publication of our research and work must include both words and pictures. The Artifact Show `n Tell session is designed to provide a way to continue to describe design by "what we do and how we do it." Participants should bring artifacts-tools you've used in the design process-a paper sketch, a diagram, a demo, a PowerPoint presentation, a framework-anything! Bring a pin-upable or projectable version of this artifact. Also bring it on disk both in pdf (with fonts embedded) and in its native format along with a 1-2 paragraph description or purpose of its use. These artifacts will be made into the proceedings for this meeting.

      Artifact sessions will involve short presentations of ten minutes each by participants of the conference, followed by 5 minutes of Q+A (strictly timed, to keep the pace going).

      As a humanizing of the three themes for artifacts used in Santa Fe, we will consider them with a different twist in Telluride. Instead of usable, useful and desirable, we will use living, learning, working, playing.

      SCHEDULE

      Friday arrival
      7:00 p.m. Reception and dinner together to get reacquainted
      9:00 p.m. Welcome by Clement Mok and Terry Swack
      Opening provocations: Models of experience design and
      branding-Hugh Dubberly
      Framework and vocabulary for measuring experience-Terry Swack

      Saturday
      8:30 a.m. Opening session
      Provocation: Defining the parameters of the experience
      design space-Terry Swack and Clement Mok
      Ric Grefe to review Advance for Design activities to date
      10:30 a.m. Break
      11:00 a.m. Artifacts session 1-Living (simultaneously in three
      places)
      12:30 p.m. Provocation Developing the criteria for design skills in the
      network economy and a vocabulary for describing the
      profession-Patrick Whitney
      1:00 p.m. Break for lunch on own
      2:30 p.m. Reconvene
      3:00 p.m. Artifacts session 2-Learning
      4:00 p.m. Break
      4:3o p.m. Artifacts session 3-Working
      5:30 p.m. Definition of experience design, revising the model
      7:00 p.m. Break for dinner on your own

      Sunday
      8:30 a.m. Provocation: Educational requirements for interaction
      design-Meredith Davis
      9:30 a.m. Artifacts session 4-Playing
      10:30 a.m. Next steps-Clement Mok and Terry Swack
      Action assignments for definition, vocabulary, programs,
      education, and public relations
      Noon or so Adjourn

      TIME AND PLACE

      Location: Telluride, The Wyndham Peaks Resort and Golden Door Spa
      Date: August 11-13, 2000

      COST: $600 U.S. Advance for Design members
      $770 U.S. non-members (includes Advance for Design
      charter membership)

      The fee covers the actual costs of arranging this event. Any net revenues from the event are committed soley to follow-up on initiatives raised at this event.

      ***AIGA will offer a limited number of grants to subsidize those unable to pay this fee.*** We are intent on getting as many of the invited list as possible to the event. If you would like to be considered for a grant, please contact Ric Grefe at grefe@....

      RSVP by June 15 by using the registration form below. Hotel room rate is $275 for standard single or double occupancy, and luxury suites are available for $575 per night. All rates are subject to tax and resort tariff, currently 18 percent. This includes daily access to the Golden Door Spa at The Peaks and round-trip shuttle service from the Telluride Airport for all commercial flights. You will need to make your reservation prior to June 23 by calling 800 789 2220 and mentioning "AIGA Advance for Design."

      Upon registering, a first and last night's security deposit will be required. However, should you need to cancel the reservation, it will be fully refunded if the resort is notified by July 11.

      Further information will be forwarded when you RSVP.

      ADVANCE FOR DESIGN 3 REGISTRATION FORM

      Reply by e-mail to molly_beverstein@..., or print out this form and fax to 212 807 1799. Make sure you include your e-mail address in order to receive a confirmation.

      AIGA member ID: ____________________________

      Name: Ms./Mr.________________________________

      Title: _____________________________________

      Company: _____________________________________

      Address:_____________________________________

      City/State:___________________________________ Zip:________

      Country:______________________________________

      Phone:___________________ Fax:_____________________________

      E-mail:______________________________________

      Website:______________________________________

      Payment amount: ___$600 U.S. Advance for Design member
      ___$770 U.S. non-member (includes membership)

      Payment method
      ___Check* ___Amex ___MasterCard ___Visa

      Card Number________________________ expiration date__________

      *If paying by check, please do not fax or e-mail this form; print and mail to
      AIGA, 164 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10010. Make checks payable to "American
      Institute of Graphic Arts."

      PREVIOUS ADVANCE ATTENDEES AND INVITEES

      Lauralee Alben
      Henry Bar-Levav