Re: How the Global AIDS Mafia Ruined Success Story: By Edward Green

  • Meena Seshu
    Message 1 of 28 , May 31, 2010
      Dear Sanjeev,

      If you had read my posting carefully you would have noticed that i actually believe that there are monogamous sexual practices and that is a good way to contain the virus. GREAT! But tell that to the number of women who land up in the counseling centers run by SANGRAM. All your experiences are as valid as mine are - I do not dispute that.

      My bewilderment is because of the context you are having this discussion in. That is not recognizing my context. I DO NOT dispute your context at all. I am surprised by Ted's analysis because he falls into the same trap he is accusing the Global AIDS Mafia [ Which exists, by the way] and
      falling into the same trap of `either or'. Just as monogamy exists so does multi partner sexual practice. I cannot be Judgmental about either practice.

      Anyone working on issues related to women's rights will tell you that we live in a society which practices patriarchy and which limits women's living in many ways. Working with sex workers in the past two decades has helped me understand that sexual practices of individual men are very complex and are not governed by `norms'. We made that mistake earlier in the epidemic where we thought certain classes and even castes are well protected by the norms they follow.

      This is simply not true. Just as monogamy exists so does multi partner sexual practice. I am surprised by Ted's analysis because he falls into the same trap he is accusing the Global AIDS Mafia [ Which exists, by the way] and falling into the same trap of `either or'.

      Thank god for condoms. Some of us would have NO sexual lives if we did not have them and I refuse to be made to feel guilty that i actually use one or that i believe in this piece of rubber. Generations of sexual mores and norms have played with my head and body denying me a happy, pleasurable and healthy sexual life. I'm damned if the Virus will be allowed to do the same!

      I am thankful for the package as it were, including the rhetoric! At least i have life. I would like to offer this to my fellow human beings as an option. They may not have the same needs as I but if any of my sexual partners are monogamous I hope to protect their right to safety!

      This is a good discussion. Let us thank Ted for that but let us not turn it into mere criticisms.

      In Solidarity,

      Meena Saraswathi Seshu.
      e-mail: <meenaseshu@...>
    • Ashok Row Kavi
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 1, 2010
        Meena,

        It's good you came back to refute Sanjeev's thesis -- and Ted's arguments -- based on some very self-righteous male dominated ideological discourse.

        Basically, i was a bit puzzled when you seemed to think i was only asking for options and packages for MSM and sex workers. Not at all.

        What I've been arguing is that there be as many options for safer sexual practices as there are human beings. I'm sure monogamy is one of them though I found it was as rare as the now dead dodo.

        Let's face it, NONE of us know ALL the sexual repetoire of this primate called homo sapien and what we need now is to make all the options safer so that vulnerability is reduced.

        I found Ted limiting those choices by promoting -- through evidence for all that it is worth -- only one kind of option that seemed very male controlled and dominated.. He has not explained who is to monitorr the partner reduction option and how it is to be enforced.

        Sanjeev wants us all to turn into little robots who practices what HE thinks is right.

        I'm extremely happy that you say that little piece of rubber has saved a lot of women who otherwise were not in control of either their sexuality or the choices that flowed from it now dictated by a heteronormative petriarchy.

        That said, I'm definately not for carping criticism all the time.

        This discourse has shown that it may go the way of dry puritanism and prissy prudery.

        Those winderful qualities may have a place in many kinds of societies but not in HIV/AIDS prevention, i dare say.

        regards

        Ashok Row Kavi
        e-mail: <asha47@...>