Re: Intro

  • Royce Harvey
    Message 1 of 36 , Dec 31, 1969
      Sandra Milberg. lives up there some where. I don't know if she works
      with loose eyed dogs. But I do know that she is a great trainer and
      handler and a tough competer in ISDS trials.. It would be worth looking into.

      Royce Harvey
      High Country Stock Dogs
      Kelpie, Malinois

      ----------
      : From: Mary Henderson <maryt9@...>
      :
      : Hi everyone
      :
      : By way of intro, I am Mary Henderson and live in San
      : Francisco with our 3 y/o briard boy CH. Bien Sur
      : Mattinnee Idol. I still show Rafe occasionally in
      : conformation, but what I really want to do is learn to
      : herd with him. He did pass the HT 2 years ago at the
      : the specialty in Pescadero, but I have zero experience
      : with herding and am looking for advice on finding
      : great trainers in the SF area and meeting people who
      : are involved with herding. This should be a fun line!
      : Thanks for setting it up!
      :
      : --- AHBA@onelist.com wrote:
      : >
      : > --------------------------- ONElist Sponsor
      : > ----------------------------
      : >
      : > FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE! Xpertsite has
      : > thousands of experts who
      : > are willing to answer your questions for FREE. Go
      : > to Xpertsite today
      : > and put your mind to rest.
      : > <a href=" http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/XpersiteCPC
      : > ">Click Here</a>
      : >
      : >
      : ------------------------------------------------------------------------
      : >
      : > Community email addresses:
      : > Post message: AHBA@onelist.com
      : > Subscribe: AHBA-subscribe@onelist.com
      : >
      : > Shortcut URL to this page:
      : > http://www.onelist.com/community/AHBA
      : >
      : ------------------------------------------------------------------------
      : >
      : > There are 17 messages in this issue.
      : >
      : > Topics in today's digest:
      : >
      : > 1. Re: Hello AHBA friends...
      : > From: "K. Heilenman"
      : > <kheilenm@...>
      : > 2. Re: Hello AHBA friends...
      : > From: JenniANGEL@...
      : > 3. Re: Hello AHBA friends...
      : > From: KadamiGSD@...
      : > 4. Re: Hello AHBA friends...
      : > From: "Royce Harvey" <royce@...>
      : > 5. Re: Hello AHBA friends...
      : > From: Joel Levinson <joell@...>
      : > 6. intro
      : > From: edgewood@...
      : > 7. intro
      : > From: "Ed Faulk"
      : > <efaulk@...>
      : > 8. Re: Hello AHBA friends...
      : > From: Kathy Heilenman
      : > <l-heilenman@...>
      : > 9. Re: Hello AHBA friends...
      : > From: KadamiGSD@...
      : > 10. Re: intro
      : > From: KadamiGSD@...
      : > 11. Re: intro
      : > From: KadamiGSD@...
      : > 12. (unknown)
      : > From: "Royce Harvey" <royce@...>
      : > 13. intro
      : > From: Cheswd@...
      : > 14. Re: intro
      : > From: BriardHerd@...
      : > 15. Entry fees?
      : > From: "K. Heilenman"
      : > <kheilenm@...>

      : > 16. intro
      : > From: sunbriar@...
      : > 17. Re: Hello AHBA friends...
      : > From: "Peggy Richter"
      : > <richter@...>
      : >
      : >
      : >
      : ______________________________________________________________________________
      : _
      : >
      : ______________________________________________________________________________
      : _
      : >
      : > Message: 1
      : > Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 07:33:36 -0600 (CST)
      : > From: "K. Heilenman"
      : > <kheilenm@...>
      : > Subject: Re: Hello AHBA friends...
      : >
      : > Hello all,
      : > I started herding with Bouviers and am still working
      : > with one Bouvier
      : > (hope to find another puppy sometime but it's not
      : > easy when you *really*
      : > want herding instinct that you can work with). I
      : > also have a couple of
      : > Border Collies who are a lot of fun to work with and
      : > who are teaching me
      : > that herding is herding and not to think that any
      : > problems my bouv and I
      : > have are because he's a bouv!
      : >
      : > My bouvier is from KNPV (Dutch Police Dog lines) and
      : > is a strong working
      : > (aka protection) dog who is much happier herding
      : > than he was doing
      : > protection. His big issue is "adrenalin rushes"
      : > where he loses his
      : > cool. I have found that "giving him a bite" (using
      : > my own coat sleeve or
      : > a puppy tug) helps him reduce his arousal
      : > level/drive state and go back to
      : > calm, confident herding (it does look a bit odd
      : > though!).
      : >
      : > Kathy in Iowa
      : >
      : > > From: KadamiGSD@...
      : > >
      : > > I'm very happy to have contact with others who are
      : > interested enough in AHBA
      : > > to subscribe to this list. I'm also very curious
      : > what breeds are represented
      : > > so far. I have German Shepherd Dogs with
      : > basically German working lines.
      : > > Over the years, the schutzhund club that I belong
      : > to has hosted a number of
      : > > HIC/HCT tests and a few trials in which the
      : > members trained for and
      : > > participated in. Of course, we also try to
      : > encourage all the schutzhund
      : > > types to join us in our AHBA fun. Its not unusual
      : > to drag them in kicking
      : > > and screaming, they have a run and SIGN UP for
      : > classes! The ecstatic
      : > > reaction to seeing their dogs work with livestock
      : > is exciting for me
      : > > vicariously.
      : > >
      : >
      : >
      : >
      : >
      : >
      : ______________________________________________________________________________
      : _
      : >
      : ______________________________________________________________________________
      : _
      : >
      : > Message: 2
      : > Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:12:24 EST
      : > From: JenniANGEL@...
      : >
      : > Coeurby's issues: every once in a while, when the
      : > trainer gave him (and the
      : > sheep) a rest, instead of staying down in place, he
      : > would run over to the
      : > fence to bump noses with two baby lambs...as much as
      : > he was on pointe with
      : > the sheep, he was protective and loving with the
      : > babies...he would also not
      : > go down for the trainer unless he found a corner,
      : > then he would back in,
      : > facing her, and go down. Otherwise, from the very
      : > first time, he stayed at a
      : > slight distance from the sheep and followed all
      : > directions perfectly...aside
      : > from obtaining some direction from the trainer, he
      : > was deft in his handling
      : > and quite autonomous...I think the trainer was, at
      : > first, afraid that he wold
      : > tear the sheep apart with his huge teeth. He can nip
      : > so carefully that he can
      : > put a run in my stockings without touching my skin.
      : > He understands most of
      : > anything he's asked.
      : >
      : > I don't think that the match between the trainer and
      : > Coeurby was a good one.
      : > Does anyone know of others in NJ? I know there is a
      : > gentleman in north Jersey
      : > but don't have his name. Do you have any
      : > information on instinct trials? At
      : > one time I had a schedule of national events but it
      : > confused me.
      : >
      : > Thanks for any help!
      : >
      : > Jen Hoffman
      : >
      : >
      : >
      : >
      : ______________________________________________________________________________
      : _
      : >
      : ______________________________________________________________________________
      : _
      : >
      : > Message: 3
      : > Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:42:48 EST
      : > From: KadamiGSD@...
      : >
      : > Just noticed an 11 year old BC entered the
      : > Handler/Owner/Trained (HOT)
      : > Schutzhund Championship in Texas. Not a common
      : > sight, mind you.
      : >
      : > The Bouvs in this area seem to be (if they are
      : > working at all) either
      : > herding, agility, or Ring Sport. Some are good;
      : > some are not. Working
      : > bloodlines DO tell.
      : >
      : > A friend in the schuzhund club did VERY well with
      : > his Gt. Schnauzer - an
      : > excellent herding dog. He only took him to TD I
      : > however.
      : === message truncated ===
      :
      : =====
      : Mary Henderson
      : maryt9@...
      : 80 Clarendon Ave.
      : San Francisco, CA 94114
      : 415-564-6281
      : __________________________________________________
      : Do You Yahoo!?
      : Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
      : http://im.yahoo.com
      :
      : --------------------------- ONElist Sponsor ----------------------------
      :
      : FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE! Xpertsite has thousands of experts who
      : are willing to answer your questions for FREE. Go to Xpertsite today
      : and put your mind to rest.
      : <a href=" http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/XpersiteCPC ">Click Here</a>
      :
      : ------------------------------------------------------------------------
      :
      : Community email addresses:
      : Post message: AHBA@onelist.com
      : Subscribe: AHBA-subscribe@onelist.com
      :
      : Shortcut URL to this page:
      : http://www.onelist.com/community/AHBA
      :
      :
    • Diane Koontz Bresee
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 28, 2011
        As a beginner, I appreciate this advice. My trainer says the very same thing
        and it has proven true with my GSD who has strong prey drive. The round pen
        just begs for the excited dog to go faster, and faster and blow up. Those
        corners are perfect to gather control of the dog. You never really know how
        obedient your dog is until stock comes into the picture. Stock changes
        everything!

        Diane Koontz Bresee
        Walland, TN

        "Falcarragh Irish Wolfhounds, est. 1965"
        Breeders of BIS IWs and Group & Specialty Winning Bull Terriers
        Proud Owners of Belgian Laekenois, Wandrlyn Roguish Reeler CGC HRD I-s HTAD I-s
        RN

        From: Jamie L. Burns

        The more I train the less I like round pens. But for the
        'unknown' like a clinic - it sure keeps the livestock safer.

        Jamie

        __._,_

        .