Registration History, #1

  • Melissa Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2005
      I am going to repost a series of messages I wrote and sent to Arabhorse-L
      in 1999. If anyone believes horse people back then got along any better
      than they do now, or that registration rules were always fairly applied,
      well read these posts.;)

      Melissa
      Tessie@...

      >>> Posting number 27489, dated 20 Jul 1999 17:52:30
      Subject: Rider and Driver, June 5, 1909, Part I

      The entire article from this magazine was printed in AHW back in 1974
      in one of GBE's articles. I was then a subscriber to AHW, but I don't
      remember taking any particular note about this article. GBE says she
      only had this issue, and not the next one, which had the conclusion to
      this story. Did she later get the next one? I don't know. However, it
      does not appear to be in her library at the WKKAHL, but this issue is.

      I'll let you all read this without my first telling you the subject matter.

      Melissa
      Tessie@...

      _____________________

      " [line drawing of two Thoroughbreds trotting under saddle]

      The Thoroughbred
      That Arab Horse Tangle

      The Jockey Club and the Secretary of Agriculture Brought Into Conflict by
      Mr. Homer Davenport, Who Quotes Mr. J. R. Keene as Saying a Cartoon
      Aroused Mr. Belmont's Resentment--Minutes of Meeting of Special Committee
      on Horse Show, Held at the Durland Company Riding Academy, Thursday, May
      27, 1909

      New York, May 27, 1909

      A meeting of the special committee of the horse show was called for 11
      o'clock this day.

      Present: Messrs. William Durland, Homer Davenport, S. W. Taylor, N. J.
      Hess, Peter B. Bradley, M. A. Towle, Thomas C. Reid, C. A. Moore and M.
      A. Macarzell.

      Mr. William Durland in the Chair.

      The Chairman called the meeting to order promptly at 11 o'clock.

      The Chairman: Gentlemen, this is a meeting called here by the Horse Show
      Committee of our recent horse show that we had here last April, to decide
      upon a protest that was entered by Mr. N. J. Hess, which our secretary
      of the horse show will read you. All the parties connected with this
      matter have been notified, and I believe they are here, and will give in
      their reports.

      The secretary read the following protest:

      'The Durland Company:

      'Gentlemen.--Respectfully referring to Class 15 of the horse show,
      'Arabian Saddle Horses,' I call your attention to the conditions under
      which the awards were to be made. The horses to which the first, second
      and third ribbons were awarded are not registered, neither are they
      saddle horses, and they have no training which would qualify them for the
      purposes or conditions called for--registered or eligible to
      registration, and training and manners to count fifty per cent. This
      class not being registered--

      Mr. Davenport: That word is 'restricted.'

      The Secretary: I beg your pardon.

      'This class not being restricted to stallions, all entries should have
      been fairly judged as saddlers, and not only as studs. The American Stud
      Book is the only recognized book of record (W. H. Rowe). Owing to all of
      the foregoing, I protest against the awards.

      'Yours respectuflly,
      'N. J. Hess.

      'April 21, 1909'

      The Chairman: Gentlemen, you have heard the protest, and Mr. Davenport
      has been notified, and he is here, and I would like to have him make a
      report to the committee.

      Mr. Davenport: I do not think we need rise in reporting, Mr. Chairman.

      The Chairman: It is not necessary; no, sir.

      Mr. Davenport: Was it not I that suggested to Mr. Durland this class,
      eligible for horses registered or eligible for registry? Was that ever
      made to you by any one but me?

      Mr. Durland: I believe different people have made the suggestion.

      Mr. Davenport: Is that prior to the show?

      The Chairman: Yes.

      Mr. Davenport: You remember you had a talk with me?

      The Chairman: Yes; I believe other people had, too. I spoke to a number
      of people about this.

      Mr. Davenport: Mr. Hess there, in his protest, says that the New York
      Jockey Club was the only club for such registration. I would like to ask
      Mr. Hess if he ever made application to the New York Jockey Club to have
      his own horse registered there; but, on the contrary, if he did not write
      and personally call and pay to have his horse registered in the Arab Stud
      Book, to be authenticated by Secretary Wilson? I have a letter here,
      which is the first one I will refer to. I have just got back from
      Washington, and there is trouble there, or will be next week, as quickly
      as the people that have been notified can get their records together--a
      very big and very serious investigation, which will involvle several
      weeks' time.

      (Mr. Davenport reads letter from Mr. James A. Wilson, Secretary of
      Agriculture.)

      Mr. Davenport: This letter is from Bush Brown, the secretary of the club.

      (Mr. Davenport reads letter from Mr. Bush Brown)

      Mr. Davenport: As my horses were the only horses ever passed in free of
      duty, one department wants to satisfy itself the other department was
      right. I want to say we do not ask for the postponement he refers to.
      He goes on to say:

      'As I understand it, the man who makes the protest is not registered in
      the Jockey Club Book, and his eligibility has to be proven also. The
      pedigree submitted to me is all right, provided it can be identified as
      applicalbe to Mr. Hess' horse. As yet I have received only a copy of a
      letter written by Mr. Bradley, a former owner, and everything seems to be
      straight. But how do I know that Mr. Bradley himself was not deceived?
      For this reason I do not want to issue certificate until every doubt can
      be settled by writing--no doubt every detail can be settled by writing to
      the trustee of the Estate of Malcolm Forbes, and he says who was the
      alleged breeder of Mr. Hess' horse. It seems to me he needs postponement
      as much as you do, to prove his eligibility.'

      Now, it would naturally strike us as a little curious if we are here
      protested against by the application of a horse that has never made
      application to the Jockey Club for registration. His dam is not
      registered. Mr. Bradley simply bought his horse at a dealer's; and I
      supposed Mr. Hess would be here with all necessary documents, and
      possibly registration in the Jockey Club; because it would look queer for
      one unregistered horse to hold up another unregistered horse. However,
      we are here to prove, and to show to the committee that letters and
      certificates, and many, many quotations of avowed purity from even Mr.
      Borden--even after he had been informed by Lady Ann Blunt--while he did
      not come and apologize, as she asked him to--he did write somewhere
      else--he wrote Secretary Wilson that he had been informed that these
      horses were of purest blood. We are here ready to go on and show our
      eligibility for registration in the Jockey Club with horses registered
      before ours came in, of unknown blood, who never had any pretense of a
      pedigree--and I can refere to one horse in particular--and yet he is duly
      registered in the Jockey Club and entitled to every consideration that
      any thoroughbred would be entitled to.

      Mr. S. W. Taylor: What horse do you refer to?

      Mr. Davenport: Beaming Star. All that the Jockey Club asked when Mr.
      Thompson went to register Beaming Star was, 'Does he belong to
      Davenport?' 'No.' Then the horse was promptly registered, and passed in
      free of duty; and it is this case--it is quite a big case--which is now
      coming up in Washington, and they are asking the Jockey Club where they
      sent Beaming Star's pedigree for authentication. Mine have been sent to
      Weatherbee. I was hoping they would have aletter here proving it; but
      Weatherbee said the pedigrees were all right, as far as he knew, the only
      suspicion raised was that they had more seals on them than he had ever
      seen. Then they were sent back to Aleppo, and I have cables from the
      highest authority authenticating the pedigress. I would like to produce
      a letter from Secretary Wilson.

      The Chairman: I would like to ask a question, Mr. Davenport. Have you
      ever made any application to the New York Jockey Club to have your horses
      registered?

      Mr. Davenport: The first thing I did when I got here, Mr. Durland, I
      turned over all the pedigrees to the New York Jockey Club; and I was told
      by Mr. Sturgis the horses had all been registered, and Mr. Rowe informed
      us the horses had all been registered, but they were waiting for a board
      meeting. I have the pedigrees here, all bearing the registration marks
      and numbers of the Jockey Club. Mr. Keene, however, who is a good friend
      of mine, had told me all the way that the horses would not be registered,
      because the Jockey Club could not register them, as they could not allow
      Mr. Belmont to resign, and he would resign if they were registered, owing
      to a cartoon of mine.

      The Chairman: Did you show them all the letters?

      Mr. Davenport: Yes, absolutely as they are here"

      [End of Part I]

      --
      Email ARABHORSE-L-REQUEST@... for help. Too much list mail?
      Send the command Set Arabhorse-L Index to LISTSERV@....