RE: ADuC7030 Internal Clock

  • Pomarijos, Earl Randy
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2006
      ADuC7030 Internal Clock
      Hi everyone,

      Can somebody help me with this one.
      Currently, we are using in our project the ADuC7030 with an external oscillator.
      We are planning to remove the external oscillator and using its internal oscillator instead.

      Is there any drift in using this idea? I mean, how accurate would it be?
      The application is for automotive battery monitoring.
      This means that the device would be subject to high or low temperatures,
      As well as the drifts for its voltage supply.
      In this case, can we still rely on the accuracy of the internal oscillator?

      Can somebody also send me some documents that maybe useful in my inquiries here.

      Thank you,
      Earl

      **********************
      ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER **
      **********************

      This E-mail message and any attachments may contain
      legally privileged, confidential or proprietary
      information. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
      or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of
      this message to the intended recipient(s), you are
      hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
      or copying of this E-mail message is strictly
      prohibited. If you have received this message in
      error, please immediately notify the sender and
      delete this E-mail message from your computer.
    • good_roots_in_germany
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 16, 2006
        Hi Earl,
        The specification of ADuC7030 is not yet released. Are you sure that
        you do not target ADuC7020?

        Analog specifies the internal oscilator with 3% tolerance and a
        temperature range of -40C to +125C.

        I guess the drift will be within this above mentioned tolerance range
        due to oscilator and PLL restrictions.

        Regards
        Guenther

        --- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "Pomarijos, Earl Randy"
        <EPomarijos@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > Can somebody help me with this one.
        > Currently, we are using in our project the ADuC7030 with an external
        > oscillator.
        > We are planning to remove the external oscillator and using its
        internal
        > oscillator instead.
        >
        > Is there any drift in using this idea? I mean, how accurate would
        it be?

        > The application is for automotive battery monitoring.
        > This means that the device would be subject to high or low
        temperatures,

        > As well as the drifts for its voltage supply.
        > In this case, can we still rely on the accuracy of the internal
        > oscillator?
        >
        > Can somebody also send me some documents that maybe useful in my
        > inquiries here.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Earl
        >

        > **********************
        > ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER **
        > **********************
        >
        > This E-mail message and any attachments may contain
        > legally privileged, confidential or proprietary
        > information. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
        > or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of
        > this message to the intended recipient(s), you are
        > hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
        > or copying of this E-mail message is strictly
        > prohibited. If you have received this message in
        > error, please immediately notify the sender and
        > delete this E-mail message from your computer.

      • Rick Collins
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 16, 2006
          To quote the data sheet electrical specs,
          "TA = 40°C to 125°C, unless otherwise noted."

          This spec has no indication that it is not over the full temp range,
          so I would say 3% is the number to use. That should be good enough
          for async comms use if the other end is also within that spec. But
          this is pushing it to the max.

          --- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "good_roots_in_germany"
          <klenner_consulting@...> wrote:

          > Hi Earl,
          > The specification of ADuC7030 is not yet released. Are you sure that
          > you do not target ADuC7020?
          >
          > Analog specifies the internal oscilator with 3% tolerance and a
          > temperature range of -40C to +125C.
          >
          > I guess the drift will be within this above mentioned tolerance range
          > due to oscilator and PLL restrictions.
          >
          > Regards
          > Guenther
          >
          > --- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "Pomarijos, Earl Randy"
          > <EPomarijos@> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hi everyone,
          > >
          > > Can somebody help me with this one.
          > > Currently, we are using in our project the ADuC7030 with an external
          > > oscillator.
          > > We are planning to remove the external oscillator and using its
          > internal
          > > oscillator instead.
          > >
          > > Is there any drift in using this idea? I mean, how accurate would
          > it be?
          > >
          > > The application is for automotive battery monitoring.
          > > This means that the device would be subject to high or low
          > temperatures,
          > >
          > > As well as the drifts for its voltage supply.
          > > In this case, can we still rely on the accuracy of the internal
          > > oscillator?
          > >
          > > Can somebody also send me some documents that maybe useful in my
          > > inquiries here.
        • Pomarijos, Earl Randy
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 16, 2006
            Thanks a lot guys, i really appreciate your help.
            Actually I'm doing a Worst Case Analysis, that is why I need the figures as maximum as possible.
            But then, I need to support my analysis from such documents.
            I think everything is enough for now.

            Until next time.
            Earl

            <klenner_consulting @...> wrote:

            > Hi Earl,
            > The specification of ADuC7030 is not yet
            released. Are you sure that
            > you do not target ADuC7020?
            >
            > Analog specifies the internal oscilator with 3% tolerance and a
            > temperature range of -40C to +125C.
            >
            > I guess the drift
            will be within this above mentioned tolerance range
            > due to oscilator
            and PLL restrictions.

            > Regards
            > Guenther

            --- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroup s.com, "Pomarijos, Earl Randy"
            > <EPomarijos@ > wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi everyone,
            > >
            > > Can
            somebody help me with this one.
            > > Currently, we are using in our
            project the ADuC7030 with an external
            > > oscillator.
            > > We
            are planning to remove the external oscillator and using its

            internal
            > > oscillator instead.
            > >
            > > Is there
            any drift in using this idea? I mean, how accurate would
            > it be?
            > >
            > > The application is for automotive battery monitoring.
            > > This means that the device would be subject to high or low

            temperatures,

            > > As well as the drifts for its voltage
            supply.
            > > In this case, can we still rely on the accuracy of the
            internal
            > > oscillator?
            > >
            > > Can somebody also
            send me some documents that maybe useful in my
            > > inquiries
            here.

            ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER **