Re: anyone got a 7020 "Minikit" and got it to function?

  • mandras76
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 26, 2006
      phil,

      > unde GCC (the original header files seemed to be Keil). I had been
      > using the "lpc21isp" download tool with LPC chips, but it does not
      > work for me with the ADuC. However it turns out that I can run the
      > Windows downloader under wine with no trouble, so that works well.

      There's a downloader called ARMLSD (!) here:

      http://park11.wakwak.com/~domo/soft.html

      I've just tried it, it works fine. Testing the LPC21xx GNU toolchain
      on it is next, once I've done that, I won't look back on the IAR and
      Keil rubbish...

      > All in all no serious complaints about the Minikit. I do think the
      > ADuC manual could do with a few cosmetic edits, its a little rustic,
      > but usable.

      I can confirm that. Having said that, all I ever look at in an
      evaluation kit is the circuit diagram of the board and the data sheets
      of the components, and if you do that, it's pretty obvious that the
      board isn't powered from the serial cable. The built-in regulator is
      great because it's strong enough to power my entire circuit, and you
      can just hook 3.3V to VDDIO if you don't want to use it, the regulator
      won't matter at all.

      The only thing I don't like is the LED hardwired to DAC1, but it's
      only a resistor I'll have to remove to get rid of it. And, if I had
      designed the board, I would have made footprints for a crystal and two
      SMD capacitors to make it easy to add a crystal for timing accuracy
      (which I need).

      I think the ADuC7020MK is the best (only?) way of building a circuit
      with 4 DACs without making a PCB or having to deal with the
      non-standard dimensions, unwanted connectors, etc. on the full QS
      version. In other places, you pay $30 for a cable alone, so I think
      this is a great offer.

      Oh, and I don't use the 9V battery clip either, it goes straight to a
      2.1mm power supply plug (via a Schottky for protection) to get the 6V
      from a wall brick down to 3.3V (there are not many wall bricks with
      3.3V, so the build-in regulator is great!).

      > phil
      >

      > -- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "paloalgodon" <stevefranks@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ok, so I was initially pleased that this was $30usd, thought I'd get
      > > one and put it up against the lpc, but I'm starting to think Analog
      > > may have missed the boat. The doc's are completely spotty on the
      > > included cd, and their downloader won't connect, so I downloaded it
      > > from their website, and guess what, 2 versions and 1 year older! Very
      > > not funny. I suspect the problem is due to their decision to go as
      > > cheaply as possible and do a serial cable instead of usb like all the
      > > 8-bit guys. I assume my serial port on my computer is a piece of
      > > @#!$% and the pin they are trying to steal power from is unconnected.
      > > Course I could have missed something really obvious, but I sure
      > > didn't see anything more inviolved than a schematic on the cd, so I'm
      > > forced to assume I'm just supposed to plug it in and run ARMWSD.exe.
      > >
      > > Thoughts?
      > >
      > > Steve

    • philplpc
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 28, 2006
        Hi

        --- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "mandras76" <mandras76@...> wrote:

        > There's a downloader called ARMLSD (!) here:
        >
        > http://park11.wakwak.com/~domo/soft.html

        good to see - I'll try it out.

        > The only thing I don't like is the LED hardwired to DAC1, but it's
        > only a resistor I'll have to remove to get rid of it. And, if I had
        > designed the board, I would have made footprints for a crystal and two
        > SMD capacitors to make it easy to add a crystal for timing accuracy
        > (which I need).
        >
        > I think the ADuC7020MK is the best (only?) way of building a circuit
        > with 4 DACs without making a PCB or having to deal with the
        > non-standard dimensions, unwanted connectors, etc. on the full QS
        > version. In other places, you pay $30 for a cable alone, so I think
        > this is a great offer.

        I have similar feelings, but after all it is just a short-form eval
        board. Like you the DAC support is the big thing I find most useful.
        I have a variety of analog design tasks at work that this chip might
        be useful for.

        For my own purposes, I am in the process of designing my own ADuC7020
        board. Two variants.
        Type one has a CP2102 USB/serial chip connecting to the 7020, and then
        a simple 3.3v regulator to supply. With all the I/O pins brought out
        to (what are for me) convenient headers. Just a modified MiniKit really.
        Type two is going to feature opto-isolators in various forms and
        current sources - I need to work with in vitro biological samples and
        that causes all sorts of niggly problems.

        When I get the type one board done I'll put the designs up, and I may
        have a few blank PCBs to give away. There are hand soldering issues
        of course with both the CP2102 and the ADuC

        cheers
        phil