Re: anyone got a 7020 "Minikit" and got it to function?

  • philplpc
    Message 1 of 12 , May 26, 2006
      Hi

      I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and got it working under Linux
      without too much trouble.

      The toolchain I had was setup a year ago for a Philips LPC device, and
      it essentially worked. I did have to tweak the header files to behave
      unde GCC (the original header files seemed to be Keil). I had been
      using the "lpc21isp" download tool with LPC chips, but it does not
      work for me with the ADuC. However it turns out that I can run the
      Windows downloader under wine with no trouble, so that works well.

      All in all no serious complaints about the Minikit. I do think the
      ADuC manual could do with a few cosmetic edits, its a little rustic,
      but usable.

      phil

      -- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "paloalgodon" <stevefranks@...> wrote:

      > Ok, so I was initially pleased that this was $30usd, thought I'd get
      > one and put it up against the lpc, but I'm starting to think Analog
      > may have missed the boat. The doc's are completely spotty on the
      > included cd, and their downloader won't connect, so I downloaded it
      > from their website, and guess what, 2 versions and 1 year older! Very
      > not funny. I suspect the problem is due to their decision to go as
      > cheaply as possible and do a serial cable instead of usb like all the
      > 8-bit guys. I assume my serial port on my computer is a piece of
      > @#!$% and the pin they are trying to steal power from is unconnected.
      > Course I could have missed something really obvious, but I sure
      > didn't see anything more inviolved than a schematic on the cd, so I'm
      > forced to assume I'm just supposed to plug it in and run ARMWSD.exe.
      >
      > Thoughts?
      >
      > Steve

    • Rick Collins
      Message 2 of 12 , May 28, 2006
        --- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "martin_schoenegg"
        <Martin.Schoenegg@...> wrote:

        > Hi Steve and others,
        >
        > indeed, it is very poorly docunented. But it works... The first thing
        > we made wrong was to guess, that it is powered from COMport. It isn't!!!
        > The Vdd Pin is for the Max232 clone hidden in the serial cable. You
        > have to put a battery (I started with a 9V bloc because there was a
        > plug delivered) on the oposite side of the board and everything works
        > fine. :-)

        I think the saleman or FAE that gave me my miniboard even told me
        that. But it was a few months until I tried using it and forgot. It
        has been another year now and I can't even find the software that came
        with it. I don't see any docs on this on the ADI web site, except for
        a schematic. Anyone know where I can find the info on this module?

        > I take a USB-SamsungE700 Phone-adapter from ebay for a few euro cut the
        > samsung-plug and insert here a 2*4 header. Connect the 3v RXD, TXD and
        > gnd to the pins described on the doc of 7026 board and the 5 V USB I
        > take to the "+" pin at the other side. Works very nice :-)
        >
        > Right. There you see the voltage regulator driven from the pins "+"
        > and "-" at the opposide side. That's it :-)
        >
        > The only thing we couldn't get to work is the I2C example. on the 7026
        > Boards it works fine but if we insert a 7020 as a master or slave it
        > doesn't do anything useful. Is there any difference, that we oversee?

        How are you connecting to the module for I2C?
      • Steve Franks
        Message 3 of 12 , May 30, 2006
          ...with it.  I don't see any docs on this on the ADI web site, except for
          a schematic.  Anyone know where I can find the info on this module?

          I belive this is the page you're looking for:

          http://www.analog.com/en/content/0,2886,762%255F%252D1%255F66633,00.html

          Be forewarned, however, the version of the downloader software there is several versions behind the one on the cd that came with the minikit, and even that seemed fairly old.  If anyone from analog devices is following this list **get a clue**.  Philips has this problem in spades with their LPC ARM's - just follow the list and someone complains every week that they can't find the downloader software.

          Someone also mentioned at some point (I think) that the lpc21isp tool that comes with "gnuarm" will program the minikit.

          As for the I2C, that was someone else's post, I haven't messed with it.

          Steve

          --
          Steve Franks, KE7BTE
          Staff Engineer
          Message 4 of 12 , May 31, 2006
            Hi,

            > > The only thing we couldn't get to work is the I2C example. on the
            7026
            > > Boards it works fine but if we insert a 7020 as a master or slave
            it
            > > doesn't do anything useful. Is there any difference, that we
            oversee?

            > How are you connecting to the module for I2C?

            Well, 3 wires, two with 3k3 pullup and GND. But I was wrong. The 7020
            now works as a slave. I don't remember what I did wrong but now it is
            OK, at least at the moment :-) May be more in a few weeks, when we
            retourn back to the Minikit wanting to be master ;-)

            Martin
          • mandras76
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 26, 2006
              phil,

              > unde GCC (the original header files seemed to be Keil). I had been
              > using the "lpc21isp" download tool with LPC chips, but it does not
              > work for me with the ADuC. However it turns out that I can run the
              > Windows downloader under wine with no trouble, so that works well.

              There's a downloader called ARMLSD (!) here:

              http://park11.wakwak.com/~domo/soft.html

              I've just tried it, it works fine. Testing the LPC21xx GNU toolchain
              on it is next, once I've done that, I won't look back on the IAR and
              Keil rubbish...

              > All in all no serious complaints about the Minikit. I do think the
              > ADuC manual could do with a few cosmetic edits, its a little rustic,
              > but usable.

              I can confirm that. Having said that, all I ever look at in an
              evaluation kit is the circuit diagram of the board and the data sheets
              of the components, and if you do that, it's pretty obvious that the
              board isn't powered from the serial cable. The built-in regulator is
              great because it's strong enough to power my entire circuit, and you
              can just hook 3.3V to VDDIO if you don't want to use it, the regulator
              won't matter at all.

              The only thing I don't like is the LED hardwired to DAC1, but it's
              only a resistor I'll have to remove to get rid of it. And, if I had
              designed the board, I would have made footprints for a crystal and two
              SMD capacitors to make it easy to add a crystal for timing accuracy
              (which I need).

              I think the ADuC7020MK is the best (only?) way of building a circuit
              with 4 DACs without making a PCB or having to deal with the
              non-standard dimensions, unwanted connectors, etc. on the full QS
              version. In other places, you pay $30 for a cable alone, so I think
              this is a great offer.

              Oh, and I don't use the 9V battery clip either, it goes straight to a
              2.1mm power supply plug (via a Schottky for protection) to get the 6V
              from a wall brick down to 3.3V (there are not many wall bricks with
              3.3V, so the build-in regulator is great!).

              > phil
              >

              > -- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "paloalgodon" <stevefranks@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Ok, so I was initially pleased that this was $30usd, thought I'd get
              > > one and put it up against the lpc, but I'm starting to think Analog
              > > may have missed the boat. The doc's are completely spotty on the
              > > included cd, and their downloader won't connect, so I downloaded it
              > > from their website, and guess what, 2 versions and 1 year older! Very
              > > not funny. I suspect the problem is due to their decision to go as
              > > cheaply as possible and do a serial cable instead of usb like all the
              > > 8-bit guys. I assume my serial port on my computer is a piece of
              > > @#!$% and the pin they are trying to steal power from is unconnected.
              > > Course I could have missed something really obvious, but I sure
              > > didn't see anything more inviolved than a schematic on the cd, so I'm
              > > forced to assume I'm just supposed to plug it in and run ARMWSD.exe.
              > >
              > > Thoughts?
              > >
              > > Steve

            • philplpc
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 28, 2006
                Hi

                --- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "mandras76" <mandras76@...> wrote:

                > There's a downloader called ARMLSD (!) here:
                >
                > http://park11.wakwak.com/~domo/soft.html

                good to see - I'll try it out.

                > The only thing I don't like is the LED hardwired to DAC1, but it's
                > only a resistor I'll have to remove to get rid of it. And, if I had
                > designed the board, I would have made footprints for a crystal and two
                > SMD capacitors to make it easy to add a crystal for timing accuracy
                > (which I need).
                >
                > I think the ADuC7020MK is the best (only?) way of building a circuit
                > with 4 DACs without making a PCB or having to deal with the
                > non-standard dimensions, unwanted connectors, etc. on the full QS
                > version. In other places, you pay $30 for a cable alone, so I think
                > this is a great offer.

                I have similar feelings, but after all it is just a short-form eval
                board. Like you the DAC support is the big thing I find most useful.
                I have a variety of analog design tasks at work that this chip might
                be useful for.

                For my own purposes, I am in the process of designing my own ADuC7020
                board. Two variants.
                Type one has a CP2102 USB/serial chip connecting to the 7020, and then
                a simple 3.3v regulator to supply. With all the I/O pins brought out
                to (what are for me) convenient headers. Just a modified MiniKit really.
                Type two is going to feature opto-isolators in various forms and
                current sources - I need to work with in vitro biological samples and
                that causes all sorts of niggly problems.

                When I get the type one board done I'll put the designs up, and I may
                have a few blank PCBs to give away. There are hand soldering issues
                of course with both the CP2102 and the ADuC

                cheers
                phil