Re: [ADuC_ARM] Debug via UART

  • Onestone
    Message 1 of 6 , May 23, 2006
      The MSP430 one isn't, because the MSP430 JTAG is not a true boundary
      scan JTAG implementation, and the USB device was designed specifically
      for the MSP430 interface.

      Al

      martin_schoenegg wrote:

      >Hi all,
      >
      >the ADUC702x are told to be able to be debugged via UART. Well but
      >how? the typical debuggers want to have JTAG devices like Wiggler or
      >the diverse USB-devices. Is there a special driver that I didn't find?
      >
      >BTW: Whats about the USB-JTAG devices like the JTAG for MSP430 and
      >others. Are they useable for ADUC702x? Why not?
      >
      >Martin
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • good_roots_in_germany
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 17, 2006
        Hello Martin,
        I guess Analog meant by "debug" use serial download and trace your
        code via serial port. I work this way. It's not as convenient as JTAG
        but works. Please have a look on the GR_TRACE.zip I downloaded into
        the files section. I use the 7026 evaluation board from Olimex.
        Please be aware that LED1 is on P4.0 while on Analog's evaluation boa
        rd it is on
        P4.2.
        Re
        gards
        Gu
      • martin_schoenegg
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19, 2006
          > I guess Analog meant by "debug" use serial download and trace your
          > code via serial port.

          as far as I understood GR_TRACE, I have to include the two files in my
          code and then analyse the messages on UART via terminal. That's
          similar but more comfortable than our solution right now. But this
          should work with every µC, isn't it (as long as this device is able to
          comunicate via UART and have enough memory for the additional code)?

          > I use the 7026 evaluation board from Olimex.

          I prefered the boards original from analog.com. They where cheaper and
          available that time we started.

          > Please be aware that LED1 is on P4.0 while on Analog's evaluation boa
          > rd it is on P4.2.

          Thanks for the hint.

          Regards
          Martin
        • good_roots_in_germany
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 21, 2006
            --- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "martin_schoenegg"
            <Martin.Schoenegg@...> wrote:

            > > I guess Analog meant by "debug" use serial download and trace
            your
            > > code via serial port.
            >
            > as far as I understood GR_TRACE, I have to include the two files in
            my
            > code and then analyse the messages on UART via terminal. That's
            > similar but more comfortable than our solution right now. But this
            > should work with every µC, isn't it (as long as this device is able
            > communicate via UART and have enough memory for the additional
            code)?
            Yes, you are right. Please be aware that the TRACE function needs
            stack space for formatting (sprintf) which is seldom the case at
            interrupt routines. Therefore I added the QTRACE.

            > > I use the 7026 evaluation board from Olimex.
            >
            > I preferred the boards original from analog.com. They where cheaper
            and
            > available that time we started.
            Well in my case the 7026 board was priced higher and not available at
            Analog. At the 7020 board it was the opposite way (more expensive and
            not available at Olimex). Just by the way all Olimex boards have USB
            converter and powers the whole board via USB. This makes development
            convenient.

            > > Please be aware that LED1 is on P4.0 while on Analog's evaluation
            boa
            > > rd it is on P4.2.
            >
            > Thanks for the hint.
            >
            > Regards
            > Martin

            Nice weekend
            Guenther
          • kianwang
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 24, 2006
              Hi all,

              IAR's EWARM features a Rom Monitor which may be used to debug the
              ADuC702x via the UART.

              There is no UART debug capability in Keil's uV3.

              Take a look at the quick start guide from ADI:
              ftp://ftp.analog.com/pub/MicroConverter/ADuC702xV1.1/ADuC702x/

              Regards,
              Dave

              --- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "good_roots_in_germany"