Re: [ADuC_ARM] Re: anyone got a 7020 "Minikit" and got it to function?

  • Steve Franks
    Message 1 of 12 , May 22, 2006

      indeed, it is very poorly docunented. But it works... The first thing
      we made wrong was to guess, that it is powered from COMport. It isn't!!!
      The Vdd Pin is  for the Max232 clone hidden in the serial cable. You
      have to put a battery (I started with a 9V bloc because there was a
      plug delivered) on the oposite side of the board and everything works
      fine. :-)

      That's very not-funny.  An eval board that requires soldering!?  What if I was a poor, destitute university student?  I should've guessed there was a dark side to that little 9V clip in the box.  Those cheapskates could have soldered it in for us.  I mean, presumably, they wanted you to be able to solder in anything - but for the vasy majority of users, they just want to eval the processor - make those doing special things do the soldering.  At least now I know - no voltmeter here at work to check.

      Thanks,
      Steve

    • martin_schoenegg
      Message 2 of 12 , May 23, 2006
        Dear Steve,

        > I mean, presumably, they wanted you to be able to
        > solder in anything - but for the vasy majority of users, they just
        want to
        > eval the processor - make those doing special things do the
        soldering. At
        > least now I know - no voltmeter here at work to check.

        hey, this is not a personal computer, it's a µC. It only makes sense
        to include this device in a schematic built around. How to do this
        without a soldering iron and measurement equipment such as scope? I
        was very lucky that they didn't include the pins to built a pseudo-
        DIP40 case. I don't need it in such way. others may do, they are
        easier able to put this pins in than me to pull them out. Same with
        the powersupply & LED. I don't need the 9V clip (others won't need
        the LED). I use the 5V USB instead. Much more I would prefer, if the
        regulator would be unplugable.

        Martin
      • philplpc
        Message 3 of 12 , May 26, 2006
          Hi

          I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and got it working under Linux
          without too much trouble.

          The toolchain I had was setup a year ago for a Philips LPC device, and
          it essentially worked. I did have to tweak the header files to behave
          unde GCC (the original header files seemed to be Keil). I had been
          using the "lpc21isp" download tool with LPC chips, but it does not
          work for me with the ADuC. However it turns out that I can run the
          Windows downloader under wine with no trouble, so that works well.

          All in all no serious complaints about the Minikit. I do think the
          ADuC manual could do with a few cosmetic edits, its a little rustic,
          but usable.

          phil

          -- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "paloalgodon" <stevefranks@...> wrote:

          > Ok, so I was initially pleased that this was $30usd, thought I'd get
          > one and put it up against the lpc, but I'm starting to think Analog
          > may have missed the boat. The doc's are completely spotty on the
          > included cd, and their downloader won't connect, so I downloaded it
          > from their website, and guess what, 2 versions and 1 year older! Very
          > not funny. I suspect the problem is due to their decision to go as
          > cheaply as possible and do a serial cable instead of usb like all the
          > 8-bit guys. I assume my serial port on my computer is a piece of
          > @#!$% and the pin they are trying to steal power from is unconnected.
          > Course I could have missed something really obvious, but I sure
          > didn't see anything more inviolved than a schematic on the cd, so I'm
          > forced to assume I'm just supposed to plug it in and run ARMWSD.exe.
          >
          > Thoughts?
          >
          > Steve

        • Rick Collins
          Message 4 of 12 , May 28, 2006
            --- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "martin_schoenegg"
            <Martin.Schoenegg@...> wrote:

            > Hi Steve and others,
            >
            > indeed, it is very poorly docunented. But it works... The first thing
            > we made wrong was to guess, that it is powered from COMport. It isn't!!!
            > The Vdd Pin is for the Max232 clone hidden in the serial cable. You
            > have to put a battery (I started with a 9V bloc because there was a
            > plug delivered) on the oposite side of the board and everything works
            > fine. :-)

            I think the saleman or FAE that gave me my miniboard even told me
            that. But it was a few months until I tried using it and forgot. It
            has been another year now and I can't even find the software that came
            with it. I don't see any docs on this on the ADI web site, except for
            a schematic. Anyone know where I can find the info on this module?

            > I take a USB-SamsungE700 Phone-adapter from ebay for a few euro cut the
            > samsung-plug and insert here a 2*4 header. Connect the 3v RXD, TXD and
            > gnd to the pins described on the doc of 7026 board and the 5 V USB I
            > take to the "+" pin at the other side. Works very nice :-)
            >
            > Right. There you see the voltage regulator driven from the pins "+"
            > and "-" at the opposide side. That's it :-)
            >
            > The only thing we couldn't get to work is the I2C example. on the 7026
            > Boards it works fine but if we insert a 7020 as a master or slave it
            > doesn't do anything useful. Is there any difference, that we oversee?

            How are you connecting to the module for I2C?
          • Steve Franks
            Message 5 of 12 , May 30, 2006
              ...with it.  I don't see any docs on this on the ADI web site, except for
              a schematic.  Anyone know where I can find the info on this module?

              I belive this is the page you're looking for:

              http://www.analog.com/en/content/0,2886,762%255F%252D1%255F66633,00.html

              Be forewarned, however, the version of the downloader software there is several versions behind the one on the cd that came with the minikit, and even that seemed fairly old.  If anyone from analog devices is following this list **get a clue**.  Philips has this problem in spades with their LPC ARM's - just follow the list and someone complains every week that they can't find the downloader software.

              Someone also mentioned at some point (I think) that the lpc21isp tool that comes with "gnuarm" will program the minikit.

              As for the I2C, that was someone else's post, I haven't messed with it.

              Steve

              --
              Steve Franks, KE7BTE
              Staff Engineer
              Message 6 of 12 , May 31, 2006
                Hi,

                > > The only thing we couldn't get to work is the I2C example. on the
                7026
                > > Boards it works fine but if we insert a 7020 as a master or slave
                it
                > > doesn't do anything useful. Is there any difference, that we
                oversee?

                > How are you connecting to the module for I2C?

                Well, 3 wires, two with 3k3 pullup and GND. But I was wrong. The 7020
                now works as a slave. I don't remember what I did wrong but now it is
                OK, at least at the moment :-) May be more in a few weeks, when we
                retourn back to the Minikit wanting to be master ;-)

                Martin
              • mandras76
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 26, 2006
                  phil,

                  > unde GCC (the original header files seemed to be Keil). I had been
                  > using the "lpc21isp" download tool with LPC chips, but it does not
                  > work for me with the ADuC. However it turns out that I can run the
                  > Windows downloader under wine with no trouble, so that works well.

                  There's a downloader called ARMLSD (!) here:

                  http://park11.wakwak.com/~domo/soft.html

                  I've just tried it, it works fine. Testing the LPC21xx GNU toolchain
                  on it is next, once I've done that, I won't look back on the IAR and
                  Keil rubbish...

                  > All in all no serious complaints about the Minikit. I do think the
                  > ADuC manual could do with a few cosmetic edits, its a little rustic,
                  > but usable.

                  I can confirm that. Having said that, all I ever look at in an
                  evaluation kit is the circuit diagram of the board and the data sheets
                  of the components, and if you do that, it's pretty obvious that the
                  board isn't powered from the serial cable. The built-in regulator is
                  great because it's strong enough to power my entire circuit, and you
                  can just hook 3.3V to VDDIO if you don't want to use it, the regulator
                  won't matter at all.

                  The only thing I don't like is the LED hardwired to DAC1, but it's
                  only a resistor I'll have to remove to get rid of it. And, if I had
                  designed the board, I would have made footprints for a crystal and two
                  SMD capacitors to make it easy to add a crystal for timing accuracy
                  (which I need).

                  I think the ADuC7020MK is the best (only?) way of building a circuit
                  with 4 DACs without making a PCB or having to deal with the
                  non-standard dimensions, unwanted connectors, etc. on the full QS
                  version. In other places, you pay $30 for a cable alone, so I think
                  this is a great offer.

                  Oh, and I don't use the 9V battery clip either, it goes straight to a
                  2.1mm power supply plug (via a Schottky for protection) to get the 6V
                  from a wall brick down to 3.3V (there are not many wall bricks with
                  3.3V, so the build-in regulator is great!).

                  > phil
                  >

                  > -- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "paloalgodon" <stevefranks@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Ok, so I was initially pleased that this was $30usd, thought I'd get
                  > > one and put it up against the lpc, but I'm starting to think Analog
                  > > may have missed the boat. The doc's are completely spotty on the
                  > > included cd, and their downloader won't connect, so I downloaded it
                  > > from their website, and guess what, 2 versions and 1 year older! Very
                  > > not funny. I suspect the problem is due to their decision to go as
                  > > cheaply as possible and do a serial cable instead of usb like all the
                  > > 8-bit guys. I assume my serial port on my computer is a piece of
                  > > @#!$% and the pin they are trying to steal power from is unconnected.
                  > > Course I could have missed something really obvious, but I sure
                  > > didn't see anything more inviolved than a schematic on the cd, so I'm
                  > > forced to assume I'm just supposed to plug it in and run ARMWSD.exe.
                  > >
                  > > Thoughts?
                  > >
                  > > Steve

                • philplpc
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 28, 2006
                    Hi

                    --- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "mandras76" <mandras76@...> wrote:

                    > There's a downloader called ARMLSD (!) here:
                    >
                    > http://park11.wakwak.com/~domo/soft.html

                    good to see - I'll try it out.

                    > The only thing I don't like is the LED hardwired to DAC1, but it's
                    > only a resistor I'll have to remove to get rid of it. And, if I had
                    > designed the board, I would have made footprints for a crystal and two
                    > SMD capacitors to make it easy to add a crystal for timing accuracy
                    > (which I need).
                    >
                    > I think the ADuC7020MK is the best (only?) way of building a circuit
                    > with 4 DACs without making a PCB or having to deal with the
                    > non-standard dimensions, unwanted connectors, etc. on the full QS
                    > version. In other places, you pay $30 for a cable alone, so I think
                    > this is a great offer.

                    I have similar feelings, but after all it is just a short-form eval
                    board. Like you the DAC support is the big thing I find most useful.
                    I have a variety of analog design tasks at work that this chip might
                    be useful for.

                    For my own purposes, I am in the process of designing my own ADuC7020
                    board. Two variants.
                    Type one has a CP2102 USB/serial chip connecting to the 7020, and then
                    a simple 3.3v regulator to supply. With all the I/O pins brought out
                    to (what are for me) convenient headers. Just a modified MiniKit really.
                    Type two is going to feature opto-isolators in various forms and
                    current sources - I need to work with in vitro biological samples and
                    that causes all sorts of niggly problems.

                    When I get the type one board done I'll put the designs up, and I may
                    have a few blank PCBs to give away. There are hand soldering issues
                    of course with both the CP2102 and the ADuC

                    cheers
                    phil