Re: Own aduc7020 pcb design

  • pellepl
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 20, 2008
      --- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "martin_schoenegg" > We use to make
      longer pads so we are able to use a solder iron to
      > heat the pad beside the IC. Our group made several layouts (even
      > single sided) without mayor problems. All hand soldered with a
      simple
      > solder iron, no hot air or such specials. A few hints:
      >
      > Please do not connect or solder the metal surface on the bottom
      side.
      > The mass of tin in the hole will easyly overheat your IC.
      >
      > Don't make wires nor vias under the chip. The metal surface is
      > internally connected to GND and may give a short cirquit.
      >
      > Colophonium in alcohol is your friend for such handmade things. Use
      > enough of such solution or an other flux to prevent shorts
      >
      > Good luck
      >
      > Martin

      Hi,

      thanks for all tips!

      Using plain solder iron (and some wick) also. The vias and wires
      under the chip are GND so a short should not cause any problem.
      Rechecked and remeasured everything, the only thing I can come up
      with is that I've heated the ADuCs too much/long. The hole was never
      filled with tin. I'm using 280 celcius on the iron - what temp are
      you guys using?

      I'm thinking of redoing the PCB using a bigger board with less
      constraints. Just to see if I can get the processor to kick in.

      Thanks / Peter
    • martin_schoenegg
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 21, 2008
        > with is that I've heated the ADuCs too much/long. The hole was
        never
        > filled with tin. I'm using 280 celcius on the iron - what temp are
        > you guys using?

        My Weller Magnastat prefers 370 °C and I never had any problems with
        this. It may be better to solder quick and hot than too cold and
        needing longer, but only as long as you use very little tin. The most
        important thing may be a high quality solder tip.
        BTW I prefer for prototyping the cheapest colophonium based Pb-tin
        with 1mm diameter ;-)

        Regards
        Martin
      • pellepl76
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 28, 2010
          Answering my own question as I found the problem some long while ago - stupidly enough I'd forgot to tie the JTAG pins high. Duuuh....

          Cheers / P