Re: Own aduc7020 pcb design

  • martin_schoenegg
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 13, 2008
      pellepl

      list

      We use to make longer pads so we are able to use a solder iron to
      heat the pad beside the IC. Our group made several layouts (even
      single sided) without mayor problems. All hand soldered with a simple
      solder iron, no hot air or such specials. A few hints:

      Please do not connect or solder the metal surface on the bottom side.
      The mass of tin in the hole will easyly overheat your IC.

      Don't make wires nor vias under the chip. The metal surface is
      internally connected to GND and may give a short cirquit.

      Colophonium in alcohol is your friend for such handmade things. Use
      enough of such solution or an other flux to prevent shorts

      Good luck

      Martin
    • pellepl
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 20, 2008
        --- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "martin_schoenegg" > We use to make
        longer pads so we are able to use a solder iron to
        > heat the pad beside the IC. Our group made several layouts (even
        > single sided) without mayor problems. All hand soldered with a
        simple
        > solder iron, no hot air or such specials. A few hints:
        >
        > Please do not connect or solder the metal surface on the bottom
        side.
        > The mass of tin in the hole will easyly overheat your IC.
        >
        > Don't make wires nor vias under the chip. The metal surface is
        > internally connected to GND and may give a short cirquit.
        >
        > Colophonium in alcohol is your friend for such handmade things. Use
        > enough of such solution or an other flux to prevent shorts
        >
        > Good luck
        >
        > Martin

        Hi,

        thanks for all tips!

        Using plain solder iron (and some wick) also. The vias and wires
        under the chip are GND so a short should not cause any problem.
        Rechecked and remeasured everything, the only thing I can come up
        with is that I've heated the ADuCs too much/long. The hole was never
        filled with tin. I'm using 280 celcius on the iron - what temp are
        you guys using?

        I'm thinking of redoing the PCB using a bigger board with less
        constraints. Just to see if I can get the processor to kick in.

        Thanks / Peter
      • martin_schoenegg
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 21, 2008
          > with is that I've heated the ADuCs too much/long. The hole was
          never
          > filled with tin. I'm using 280 celcius on the iron - what temp are
          > you guys using?

          My Weller Magnastat prefers 370 °C and I never had any problems with
          this. It may be better to solder quick and hot than too cold and
          needing longer, but only as long as you use very little tin. The most
          important thing may be a high quality solder tip.
          BTW I prefer for prototyping the cheapest colophonium based Pb-tin
          with 1mm diameter ;-)

          Regards
          Martin
        • pellepl76
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 28, 2010
            Answering my own question as I found the problem some long while ago - stupidly enough I'd forgot to tie the JTAG pins high. Duuuh....

            Cheers / P