Download without pushbuttons

  • varuzhandanielyan
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2007
      NXP (former Philips) LPC series downloaders use the COM port RTS and
      DTR signals to switch microcontroller to bootloader mode instead of
      buttons, using very simple additional hardware. The same can be done
      for the ADUC series microcontrollers, having bootloader program,
      supporting the RTS and DTR signals. Before starting to write my own
      bootloader (if found enough time) I want to ask, if such program exists.

      Varuzhan
    • Benedikt Sauter
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2007
        Hello Varuzhan,

        perhaps you can write a bootloader which use as interface USBprog:

        http://www.embedded-projects.net/usbprog

        USBprog is a open and free platform for programming devices and things
        like that.
        It's not difficult to write an firmware with an pc progamm.

        I can donate a USBprog If you are interested.

        The idea of the adapter ist, to have with the community one platform for
        that many firmware exists, for programming debugging and control typical
        embedded devices.

        Best Regards
        Benedikt

        Am 13.11.2007 schrieb "varuzhandanielyan" <dan@...>:

        >NXP (former Philips) LPC series downloaders use the COM port RTS and
        >DTR signals to switch microcontroller to bootloader mode instead of
        >buttons, using very simple additional hardware. The same can be done
        >for the ADUC series microcontrollers, having bootloader program,
        >supporting the RTS and DTR signals. Before starting to write my own
        >bootloader (if found enough time) I want to ask, if such program exists.
        >
        >Varuzhan
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Steve Franks
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2007
          I believe lpc21isp is what you are looking for. I use it on my aduc
          all the time, although I haven't tried hooking up the isp & reset
          pins, but it works with them on my nxp demo boards great, and it works
          with the aduc great. The binary is shipped with WinARM and Yagarto is
          you are on a win32 box, you probably already have it.

          Steve

          --
          Steve Franks, KE7BTE
          Staff Engineer
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2007
            varuzhandanielyan Wrote
            >NXP (former Philips) LPC series downloaders use the COM port RTS and
            >DTR signals to switch microcontroller to bootloader mode instead of
            >buttons, using very simple additional hardware. The same can be done
            >for the ADUC series microcontrollers, having bootloader program,
            >supporting the RTS and DTR signals. Before starting to write my own
            >bootloader (if found enough time) I want to ask, if such program exists.

            I added support to LPC21isp for this.

            It's been a while since I've used it but it worked fine for the micro I was
            using.

            See bottom of

            http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/Articles/InSystemProgramming.html

            For an example interface schematic.

            Robert

          • varuzhandanielyan
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2007
              Great thanks for everybody. In couple of days will be ready a
              simple USB programmer of my design and I will try LPC21isp and
              share results.

              Varuzhan

              > varuzhandanielyan Wrote
              > >NXP (former Philips) LPC series downloaders use the COM port RTS
              and
              > >DTR signals to switch microcontroller to bootloader mode instead of
              > >buttons, using very simple additional hardware. The same can be
              done
              > >for the ADUC series microcontrollers, having bootloader program,
              > >supporting the RTS and DTR signals. Before starting to write my
              own
              > >bootloader (if found enough time) I want to ask, if such program
              exists.

              > I added support to LPC21isp for this.

              > It's been a while since I've used it but it worked fine for the
              micro I was
              > using.
              >
              > See bottom of
              >
              > http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/Articles/InSystemProgramming.html
              >
              > For an example interface schematic.
              >

              > Robert

              > mail2web.com – What can On Demand Business Solutions do for you?
              > http://link.mail2web.com/Business/SharePoint

            • varuzhandanielyan
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 16, 2008
                At last with a large delay I found a time to test my programmer
                board with WinARM and lpc21isp. It works! One just needs to
                write in the Makefile
                LPC21ISP_OPTIONS = -ADARM -control

                If anybody is interested, I placed schematic and photo in the Files
                section.

                Again great thanks for help and hints.
                Varuzhan

                --- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "varuzhandanielyan" <dan@...> wrote:

                > Great thanks for everybody. In couple of days will be ready a
                > simple USB programmer of my design and I will try LPC21isp and
                > share results.
                >
                > Varuzhan

                > > varuzhandanielyan Wrote
                > > >NXP (former Philips) LPC series downloaders use the COM port RTS
                > and
                > > >DTR signals to switch microcontroller to bootloader mode instead of
                > > >buttons, using very simple additional hardware. The same can be
                > done
                > > >for the ADUC series microcontrollers, having bootloader program,
                > > >supporting the RTS and DTR signals. Before starting to write my
                > own
                > > >bootloader (if found enough time) I want to ask, if such program
                > exists.
                > >
                > > I added support to LPC21isp for this.

                > > It's been a while since I've used it but it worked fine for the
                > micro I was
                > > using.
                > >
                > > See bottom of
                > >
                > > http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/Articles/InSystemProgramming.html
                > >
                > > For an example interface schematic.
                > >

                > > Robert

                > > mail2web.com – What can On Demand Business Solutions do for you?
                > > http://link.mail2web.com/Business/SharePoint

              • paloalgodon
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2 10:24 AM
                  --- In ADuC_ARM@yahoogroups.com, "varuzhandanielyan" <dan@...> wrote:

                  > Great thanks for everybody. In couple of days will be ready a
                  > simple USB programmer of my design and I will try LPC21isp and
                  > share results.
                  >
                  > Varuzhan

                  > > varuzhandanielyan Wrote
                  > > >NXP (former Philips) LPC series downloaders use the COM port RTS
                  > and
                  > > >DTR signals to switch microcontroller to bootloader mode instead of
                  > > >buttons, using very simple additional hardware. The same can be
                  > done
                  > > >for the ADUC series microcontrollers, having bootloader program,
                  > > >supporting the RTS and DTR signals. Before starting to write my
                  > own
                  > > >bootloader (if found enough time) I want to ask, if such program
                  > exists.
                  > >
                  > > I added support to LPC21isp for this.

                  > > It's been a while since I've used it but it worked fine for the
                  > micro I was
                  > > using.
                  > >
                  > > See bottom of
                  > >
                  > > http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/Articles/InSystemProgramming.html
                  > >
                  > > For an example interface schematic.
                  > >

                  > > Robert

                  > > mail2web.com � What can On Demand Business Solutions do for you?
                  > > http://link.mail2web.com/Business/SharePoint

                  FYI, I've just modified the latest lpc21isp (v1.56, only tested on
                  FreeBSD) to swap and/or invert those handshaking lines to increase
                  flexibility. You should probably read up on the thread "usage of
                  handshake lines for programming. seems inside-out" (at
                  lpc21isp@yahoogroups.com) for a discussion of usage and reasoning
                  before designing pcb's for it. I've used it (lpc21isp) with both NXP
                  and ADuC boards and it integrates into your makefile nicely for
                  one-step build & burn.

                  Steve