Sharepoint 2010 FBA with LDAP Error: The server is not operational

  • mchokshi2010
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2011
      I am trying to implement Sharepoint 2010 Forms Authentication with Active Directory. The web application is configured with Forms Authentication and uses Claims. However, when I try to log in, I am always getting the folllowing errors, and taken back to the login page

      (Watson Reporting Cancelled) System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007203A): The server is not operational.
      at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail)
      at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind()
      at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_AdsObject()
      at System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher.FindAll(Boolean findMoreThanOne)
      at System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher.FindOne()
      at Microsoft.Office.Server.Security.LDAP.FindOneObject(DirectoryEntry searchRoot, String filter, SearchScope scope, String[] propertiesToLoad, ResultPropertyCollection& entryProperties)
      at Microsoft.Office.Server.Security.LdapMembershipProvider.GetUserAttributeBySearchProperty(String searchValue, String searchProperty, String returnAttribute)

      An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: The security token username and password could not be validated..

      I have configuration settings for membership and role providers, in my web application's web.config file, my central administration's web.config file, and the config file for the Security Token Service.

      I am running Sharepoint 2010 on Windows 2008 Server R2 and Sql Server 2008 R2, along with Active Directory 2008(on a separate machine in the network). On my Sharepoint Server, I have Softera LDAP browser, and can successfully connenct to my AD with it.

      I have no idea why I cannot log in using forms authentication on my web applicaton Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I have been struggling with this problem for a long time.

      The settings given below, are the settings I have in my web application's web.config file.
      <!-- Rolemanager configuration settings ---->
      <roleManager defaultProvider="c" enabled="true" cacheRolesInCookie="false">
      <providers>
      <add name="c" type="Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.Claims.SPClaimsAuthRoleProvider, Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" />
      <add name="roleManager" type="Microsoft.Office.Server.Security.LdapRoleProvider, Microsoft.Office.Server, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" server="mcnet.com" connectionStringName="adconn" connectionUserName="Administrator" connectionPassword="Ready2wrk$" port="389" useSSL="false" groupContainer="OU=SampleGroup1,DC=SharepointGroups,DC=mcnet,DC=com" groupNameAttribute="cn" groupNameAlternateSearchAttribute="sAMAccountName" groupMemberAttribute="member" userNameAttribute="sAMAccountName" dnAttribute="distinguishedName" groupFilter="(objectClass=group)" userFilter="(objectCategory=person)" scope="Subtree" />
      </providers>
      </roleManager>

      <!-- Membership configuration settings ----->
      <membership defaultProvider="i">
      <providers>
      <add name="i" type="Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.Claims.SPClaimsAuthMembershipProvider, Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" />

      <add name="membership" type="Microsoft.Office.Server.Security.LdapMembershipProvider, Microsoft.Office.Server, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" server="mcnet.com" connectionStringName="adconn" connectionUserName="Administrator" connectionPassword="Ready2wrk$" port="389" useSSL="false" userDNAttribute="distinguishedName" userNameAttribute="sAMAccountName" userContainer="DC=mcnet,DC=com" userObjectClass="*" userFilter="(objectCategory=person)" scope="Subtree" otherRequiredUserAttributes="cn" />
      </providers>
      </membership>
      <!---CONNECTION STRING HERE ------>
      <add name="adconn" connectionString="LDAP://mcnet.com:389/DC=mcnet,DC=com" />

      <!------------Central Administration Web.config file------------>
      <roleManager>
      <providers>

      <!-----------Security Token Service's web.config file --------------->
[...]
      userObjectClass="person"
      userFilter="(sAMAccountName=AppDeveloper)"