Replication and C#

  • haych_c
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 29, 2010
      Hi everyone,

      I am interested in using the built in replication service (DRS) in AD to monitor for changes in AD. Is it possible write a service in C# that connects to AD and receives all the replication notifications from the DC?

      I am using .Net 4 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

      Any help would be much appreciated.

      Cheers
    • Tomasz Onyszko
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2010
        You want to get notification or you want to get changes? Notifications are sent between dc's and i don't see plony aby you want to get them.
        To get all changes since last read you can use dirsync control on ldap query and you will gat in return all changes to objects in interest.

        Btw - on msdn you will find information how to subscribe for notifications from ldap but I have never ever seen anyone using this. Not mention that interface is in c++

        Sent from my iPhone

        On 04-07-2010, at 08:53, "haych_c" <haych.c@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I am interested in using the built in replication service (DRS) in AD to monitor for changes in AD. Is it possible write a service in C# that connects to AD and receives all the replication notifications from the DC?
        >
        > I am using .Net 4 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
        >
        > Any help would be much appreciated.
        >
        > Cheers

      • haych_c
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2010
          Thanks for your reply Tomasz,

          I was hoping it was possible to receive events rather than polling for changes.

          Do you have any information/links about "how to subscribe for notifications from ldap"?

          Cheers

          --- In ADSIANDDirectoryServices@yahoogroups.com, Tomasz Onyszko <t.onyszko@...> wrote:

          > You want to get notification or you want to get changes? Notifications are sent between dc's and i don't see plony aby you want to get them.
          > To get all changes since last read you can use dirsync control on ldap query and you will gat in return all changes to objects in interest.
          >
          > Btw - on msdn you will find information how to subscribe for notifications from ldap but I have never ever seen anyone using this. Not mention that interface is in c++
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On 04-07-2010, at 08:53, "haych_c" <haych.c@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi everyone,
          > >
          > > I am interested in using the built in replication service (DRS) in AD to monitor for changes in AD. Is it possible write a service in C# that connects to AD and receives all the replication notifications from the DC?
          > >
          > > I am using .Net 4 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
          > >
          > > Any help would be much appreciated.
          > >
          > > Cheers

        • haych_c
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2010
            I responded to this message but it didn't show up?

            Anyway, I want to get notifications from AD without having to poll the directory for changes. I want to be notified when a change has occurred.

            Can you please provide me with more information about "subscribe for notifications from ldap"?

            Thanks for your help.

            --- In ADSIANDDirectoryServices@yahoogroups.com, Tomasz Onyszko <t.onyszko@...> wrote:

            > You want to get notification or you want to get changes? Notifications are sent between dc's and i don't see plony aby you want to get them.
            > To get all changes since last read you can use dirsync control on ldap query and you will gat in return all changes to objects in interest.
            >
            > Btw - on msdn you will find information how to subscribe for notifications from ldap but I have never ever seen anyone using this. Not mention that interface is in c++
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On 04-07-2010, at 08:53, "haych_c" <haych.c@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi everyone,
            > >
            > > I am interested in using the built in replication service (DRS) in AD to monitor for changes in AD. Is it possible write a service in C# that connects to AD and receives all the replication notifications from the DC?
            > >
            > > I am using .Net 4 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
            > >
            > > Any help would be much appreciated.
            > >
            > > Cheers

          • Tomasz Onyszko
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 15, 2010
              On 7/5/2010 7:09 AM, haych_c wrote:
              > Thanks for your reply Tomasz,
              >
              > I was hoping it was possible to receive events rather than polling for changes.
              >
              > Do you have any information/links about "how to subscribe for notifications from ldap"?

              As I said, I've never seen any application using this feature in the
              real world. But well ... here it is
              http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa772153(VS.85).aspx

              --
              Tomasz Onyszko