Active Directory Structure with Multiple Domains

  • Tarak
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2010
      Hi,

      Can anybody provide me information for Multiple Domains in single Active Directory?

      Actually I have two questions in such scenario:

      1)Can users with same cn/sAmaccountname in one AD exist in other AD within the Forest ?

      2)If YES then how to distinguish that user ?

      Many Thanks & Regards,
      Tarak Bhatt.
    • Florian Frommherz
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2010
        Howdie!

        Yeah, you can do that. The correct terminology would be "to have multiple
        domains in an Active Directory forest". That's a common scenario.
        sAMAccountNames are unique for the domain. So you can have a tarakb in
        domainA as well as a tarakb in domainB. They're identified by their SIDs
        that have a domain component in them as well as the domain name or UPN
        (DOMAINA\tarakb vs. DOMAINB\tarakb - tarakb@..., vs.
        tarakb@...).

        Cheers,

        Florian

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2010
          1) Yes
          2) You can distinguish with path or distinguished name.