how to change default browser for an OU in Active directory

  • nagaraju_p_p
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 26, 2009
      Hi all,

      I want to changte the default browser from Microsoft Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox For an OU in Active directory...I have group policy management console installed...

      Also if I change the default browser would the Homepage which we specify in Group policy object--->User configuration--->Windows settings--->Internet Explorer maintenance---->URL's---->Important URL's remain the same in firefox as well...& Group policy object--->User configuration--->Windows settings--->Internet Explorer maintenance---->Browser user interface--->Browser title--->Customize broswer title be effective as well...

      Request everyone who are aware about this to help me...
    • Florian Frommherz
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 27, 2009
        Howdie!

        The homepage won't change if you use the IE Group Policy and people use
        Firefox. You will have to basically create a different GPO for Firefox users
        as Firefox stores its configuration differently.

        Cheers,

        Florian

        I want to changte the default browser from Microsoft Internet Explorer to
        Mozilla Firefox For an OU in Active directory...I have group policy
        management console installed...

        Also if I change the default browser would the Homepage which we specify in
        Group policy object--->User configuration--->Windows settings--->Internet
        Explorer maintenance---->URL's---->Important URL's remain the same in
        firefox as well...& Group policy object--->User configuration--->Windows
        settings--->Internet Explorer maintenance---->Browser user
        interface--->Browser title--->Customize broswer title be effective as
        well...

        Request everyone who are aware about this to help me...

      • nagaraju podugollu
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 27, 2009
          Hi Florian,

          I dont have any issue's creating a different GPO for firefox and also mentionening the Important links as well in that GPO, however I want to know how can I make Mozilla firefox as the default browser for that OU...

          ________________________________

          I want to changte the default browser from Microsoft Internet Explorer to
          Mozilla Firefox For an OU in Active directory... I have group policy
          management console installed...

          Also if I change the default browser would the Homepage which we specify in
          Group policy object--->User configuration- -->Windows settings---> Internet
          Explorer maintenance- --->URL's- --->Important URL's remain the same in
          firefox as well...& Group policy object--->User configuration- -->Windows
          settings---> Internet Explorer maintenance- --->Browser user
          interface--- >Browser title--->Customize broswer title be effective as
          well...

          Request everyone who are aware about this to help me...

          See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz. http://in.buzz.yahoo.com/

        • Florian Frommherz
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 27, 2009
            Howdie!

            Is Firefox already installed on the boxes? If not - how are you going to
            distribute them? In the Firefox MSI there should be a switch/property to set
            whether Firefox should advertise itself as the default application.

            With Firefox already installed on the boxes, I'm afraid there's no built-in
            GPO to set it as the default browser. I guess you'll have to set it manually
            using a startup or logon script, a custom ADM template file or Group Policy
            Preference. The corresponding registry entries are, as far as I can tell,
            correctly mentioned in this Microsoft Forums thread:

            http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvgeneralsequencing/threa
            d/00cdcb83-7bd2-4fae-b5c2-b8038d6f1943 - it's the second last posting. You
            obviously have to change the path to IE in this example to the executable of
            firefox.

            _____

            From: ADSIANDDirectorySer vices@yahoogroup s.com
            <mailto:ADSIANDDirectoryServices%40yahoogroups.com>
            <mailto:ADSIANDDirectoryServices%40yahoogroups.com>
            directory

            Hi all,

            I want to changte the default browser from Microsoft Internet Explorer to
            Mozilla Firefox For an OU in Active directory... I have group policy
            management console installed...

            Also if I change the default browser would the Homepage which we specify in
            Group policy object--->User configuration- -->Windows settings---> Internet
            Explorer maintenance- --->URL's- --->Important URL's remain the same in
            firefox as well...& Group policy object--->User configuration- -->Windows
            settings---> Internet Explorer maintenance- --->Browser user
            interface--- >Browser title--->Customize broswer title be effective as
            well...

            Request everyone who are aware about this to help me...

            start: 2009-06-21 end: 0000-00-00

            _____

            Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more.
            Click here
            <http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_cricket_2/*http:/cricket.yahoo.com> .

          • nagaraju podugollu
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 27, 2009
              Hi Florian,

              Firefox is already installed on those boxes and as you have said there would be an option to set that internet browser as the default application for internet browing,however I should go through the link to make a startup script or Gpo,because if there are more users we cant go and set it as the default application...

              I will go through the link and see if it works...

              Thanks in advance Florian...

              ________________________________

              From: ADSIANDDirectorySer vices@yahoogroup s.com
[...]

              Fitness on your mind? Check out nearby gyms on Yahoo! India Local http://in.local.yahoo.com/

            • nagaraju podugollu
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 28, 2009
                Hi Florian,

                I have tried setting the registries in GPO->Computer configuration->windows settings->security settings->registry->right pane ->right click and add new key and have added the keys for machine and current user in users default and few times in shell command options I had to remove the space after url however this didnt work...

                I have even copied the entire data of registry keys which are there in that forum and have created a file with extension .reg and added it to the users startup and logon scripts as well however it didnt work, I have saved those registry values in a file with .reg extension and executed it on a workstation PC as administrator and it has asked me whether it should update the registry values when I have clicked yes it updated and after a logoff and relogin it worked.

                However I want this to work for that OU...

                Thanks in advance...

                ________________________________

                From: ADSIANDDirectorySer vices@yahoogroup s.com
[...]

                Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more. Click here http://cricket.yahoo.com

              • Florian Frommherz
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 28, 2009
                  Howdie!

                  A couple of things here: First, the Windows Settings\Security
                  Settings\Registry applet is only used for tweaking permission on already
                  existing registry keys. You cannot add new ones there. It's just a
                  permission thing.

                  Second, the way you tried to work it out with the .reg file was correct. Was
                  you need to do is, rather than executing it in a user logon script, you fire
                  it in a computer startup script. There's a difference between the two: while
                  the user logon script runs in the logged on user's context, the computer
                  startup script runs in the SYSTEM context. Obviously, the two contexts (user
                  vs. SYSTEM) have different permissions on the system. Users aren't allowed
                  to write into the CLASSES hive (or the LOCAL_MACHINE hive for most parts).
                  The SYSTEM account is allowed to do that - so you need to use a computer
                  startup script to call your .reg file. The script could be as simple as

                  Regedit /s \\server\share\myReg.reg

                  - where myReg.reg is your reg file and /s stands for "silent" so it doesn't
                  ask questions.

                  From: ADSIANDDirectorySer vices@yahoogroup s.com
[...]

                  Buzz <http://in.rd.yahoo.com/tagline_buzz_1/*http:/in.buzz.yahoo.com/> .

                • nagaraju podugollu
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 1, 2009
                    Hi Florian,

                    Thank you for yopur suggestion, I was a lil busy with personal and professional works too much that I havent even checked my mails from saturday evening...I have just checked it now...

                    I will try the method which you have suggested and check the outcome...Thank you very much Florian...

                    From: ADSIANDDirectorySer vices@yahoogroup s.com